Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Fern Strikes Again....Plus Pretty Pictures

A few weeks ago I was on the phone with Fern. She was at Lowe's checking out all the clearance items. All of a sudden she laughs and says she has a present for me. At once, I knew I would be the recipient of another d-a-m butterfly.

On Sunday Fern gave me a little wooden sign to put in my flower bed....So freaky!


Here are some pictures of my flower beds right now. My Rose of Sharon hedges were getting kind of top heavy so I had to do some trimming. I decided to bring a bunch inside and put them in a vase so they would bloom indoors. The blossoms are gorgeous!


This morning we all got ready freakishly early, way before it was time for school. So Parker and I went outside and took pictures. Here's my flower bed under my living room window. It's one of my favorite beds. Most of these flowers come back every summer.


This year I planted Dahlia's for the first time ever. I really like them a lot! Next year I think I'll plant lots more.



Every year I plant California Giant Zinnia seeds along my driveway. I think they are gorgeous and they bloom until way after the first frost. I only planted one large packet of seeds this year, I think it cost me $2, or something like that, from IFA. I usually plant them in rows, but this year I was lazy (remember, I had a newborn at the time!) and I just basically threw the seeds all over and called it good. I like the result better this way!




Here's the funny part...the seeds took longer than normal to germinate. After 3 weeks I was pretty sure the zinnia's were not going to grow. So, Carson and I planted pumpkin seeds in the same bed. As luck would have it, all the seeds started growing at the same time and they fight each other for space! So, at one end of the flower bed, I have a few pumpkins growing. They should be nice and ripe for Fall, which is pretty cool! Next year I think I'll plant lots of pumpkin seeds and then use the fruits of my labor to decorate the yard for Halloween!


Cameron update:
So today I've been doing Cameron's normal neck exercises with him as well as his rolling over exercises...well....Cameron is a punk. Instead of being engaged with the rolling over routine, he now just plants his forehead straight onto the floor while he's on his stomach. He should be propped on his elbows with his head high in the air! I try to correct his position and he just goes back to his forehead kissing the ground. If he could talk he would be saying "mom, I know what you are trying to do and it's not worth my time or yours! Just let me play!"
It's kind of frustrating and funny at the same time.

Hey, this is my 400th posting. Happy blog anniversary to me.

4 comments:

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

I look up to you Carrie in many ways-1, being your skills in the flower beds. When it comes time for me to plant in my new yard I might have to hire you out for help.

Anonymous said...

I totally had to fight myself from buying you a butterfly birdfeeder yesterday!! I knew you would kill me!! I planted 3 pkgs of zinnia and not a single sprout!! ha- so much for my green thumb!!--my favorite thing in the world to do is wonder around my yard in the morning and look at the different stages my flowers are in... and then drag my kids around to see! (they just love it!!) : D your cameron story reminds me of trying to teach parker to say 'fern' and getting 'jessica' in return... always with a little smirk!!

The Airharts said...

I love the zinnias like that -I think next year I will try a shot of the seed throwing-and congrats on the 400th post-time to print them off! Blurb.com-I'm with you on the nasty butterfly stuff!!! Does that house on 6200 across from the airport kill you with all the giant butterflys hooked to it-I dont get it are they really expecting us to belive that butterflys get the size of garbage can lids?????kind of creepy-Who knows.

Jess said...

ha! in your face, mom! just kiddin.. parker just had to prove once again that i am the favorite..