Thursday, October 09, 2008

8 Years Ago Today...

Eight years ago today I was a changed person.

Changing from Carrie Clark to Carrie Sweet was easy. I was no longer a crazy single, I became a crazy couple with Sam. I felt like most everything was the same in my life, except I had a constant companion by my side and some new in-laws to hang out with. However, I was still Carrie.

But, eight years ago I became a Mom. Becoming a mom was entirely different. I grew up in a hurry because I realized the amazing impact my new status in life was going to have on a perfect, innocent, beautiful baby boy. I knew that what I said and what I did had a direct impact upon this bundle of joy. It was exciting and freakishly scary at the same time.

I honestly remember holding Carson in the hospital room and feeling so under-qualified for this new role/title. I had hardly ever been around babies in my life and I didn't have the first clue how to take care of them.

Eight years later I can recall that moment and feel so incredibly blessed because Heavenly Father knew what I was going through and so he sent me the most incredible son. He basically went easy on me!

Enough about me. Let's talk about Carson.


Carson was a great baby and that hasn't changed over the years. He is tender and he shows his affection easily. Sometimes his prayers at night make me get a tear in my eye because I can't believe how thoughtful he is. He prays for people he loves and he remembers their struggles. Even if I feel like I've been a bad mom that day, he is so thankful in his prayers for the wonderful day he's had.

Carson is eager to help with anything at all, especially if it means working together with his mom or dad.

Carson is smart. School has been pretty easy for him so far. The only time he ever gets in trouble is because he's a little too social. Oh well, there are definitely worse things to be in trouble for!

In his class this year they do something called "Catch of the Day" and once a week one of the kids gets spotlighted. Every classmate fills out a series of questions relating to the person being spotlighted. One question was something like "one thing I like about ________" When Carson was the Catch of the Day, I'll bet 75% of the kids wrote something like "One thing I like about Carson is he's a good friend to everyone and he's so nice." That made me so happy that he's kind to others!

When Carson feels appreciated, he loves to "pay it forward" and make others feel the same way. Tonight when we were driving home from dinner, I said "Let's all say something we love about Carson." so Sam, Parker, and myself all said what we loved about Carson. When we were done, Carson said "Now I'm going to tell each of you what I love about you!!" and he did.

Carson has a bazillion good traits, but I'd have to say my favorite one is how kind he is to his siblings...most of the time. He can get Cameron to smile and laugh better than anybody in this family. If Parker is feeling down, he does anything it takes to get Parker smiling again.

Earlier this week Carson wanted to spend his birthday money at Walmart. He had $20 to spend. Parker wasn't saying much, but he wasn't too happy that Carson got to buy fun things and he didn't. Carson bought a watch and a toy, which came to $18.96. With his $1.04 left, he asked me if he could buy a treat. I told him he could, so he picked out a fancy sucker that came to $1.03 and we went home with his "goods" and a penney left over. Again, Parker wasn't smiling, but he wasn't saying anything out loud. Once we were home, Carson was taking his treasures out of his bags and as he pulled out the sucker, he said "Now Parker, I actually bought this for you because I could tell you were having a hard time!" and he gave the sucker to Parker, who was absolutely overjoyed beyond belief!

I immediately emailed my mom and Sam with the story, I couldn't believe it! To be totally honest, when I was 8 and my little brother Curtis was 4, I'm pretty sure I would have never done the same thing. I would have been selfish and then made fun of Curtis for not getting anything (Sorry Curtis!).

I think my kids are going to teach me more than I teach them.

So today....
Yeah, the balloons say "Congrats". At least they don't say R.I.P or something like that! I just told Carson it means "Congrats on being 8!"


We asked Carson what he wanted to do tonight and he said "go to Burger King for dinner, then go to the aquarium, then come home and have rice krispie treats with peanut butter M&M's in them, and open presents." so that's what we did!

Aquarium:




Burger King:


Rice Krispie treats with PB M&M's...we totally started eating them before I remembered to light candles and sing Happy Birthday to Carson. Ummmm, I never said I was a GREAT mom!



Presents:


Here's hoping that my next post isn't about the bone Carson broke while riding his scooter. I think I just jinxed myself.

Thanks Carson for the awesome day! I think we have sufficiently celebrated your big #8 and Parker is quite plum tuckered!


Next big day.....BAPTISM! Oh man, I think I'm starting to feel old.

Crap, I still need to buy all of Carson's cub scout stuff....this will be my life for the next SEVERAL years since I have all boys. Say a little prayer for me...

14 comments:

Jess said...

about the cub scout stuff - at least when carson outgrows his stuff parker and cameron can use it! i'm all teary eyed because of how sweet carson is. i remember singing and rocking him to sleep as a wee little lad at my mummy's house.. tender...

Holly Strong said...

Ahhh, I can seriously say you got a great kid. I just love Carson (and so does Ady...she was watching me read the post and when it got to the picture of him blowing out his candles she sang happy birthday to him and then said, "Okay, blow them out now, Carson!" It was funny!) I have to admit that there is no way I would've bought a treat for my sibling either, but Tanner is the one that when he goes to All A Dollar with my parents, always has to buy something for Ady and Matthew too! Keep up the good work. I'm glad I have one more year before Scout stuff starts....yikes!

Ginger said...

Yeah we will surely see each other at the Scout-o-rama! So your story brought a little tear to my eye. What a great kid. Looks like it was a great day.

Ambyr said...

Carson is awesome! What a great kid and a great friend. Looks like you guys had a really fun night. The aquarium looks totally fun, :)

Amy said...

Carrie you are a great writer. I love reading your blog because you make everything about your life fun to read. Carson sounds like the best big brother a sibling could have. Happy Birthday Carson!

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

Aw Carrie, your post brought a tear to my eye. You have such a neat little boy. You and Sam are great parents. The proof is in the pudding with Carson.

cathy said...

What a tender story. You'll have to remind him of that when he's 14 and he's beating the crap out of his annoying little brother!

Curtis and Shandy said...

Happy Birthday Carson! Sorry we couldn't come up. I'm glad you guys finally got the aquarium. Fun stuff!

Meridith O. said...

Loved, loved, loved, the post! Carson is really such a sweet kid. (No pun intended). Let us know when the big baptism day is so we can plan on being there. What a fun/busy time!

Rose said...

Way to go Carson! Happy Birthday!

If you don't mind used, I have 3 cubscout shirts. It's great to have spares when you can't find the one!

When is the Baptism? November 1st?

Thomas said...

Shout out for Carson B-day! Time is going by too quick. Just think, double, in the same amount of time, he will be dating. Yikes!
-Maile

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday Carson! He sounds alot like Sam. About having all boys: boy scouts or periods. Hmmmm. Which would you have? I was cut out for scouts, not that other crap. Curses.

Susan said...

Cub scouts is fun once you get the hang of it. It's great that Carson is a kid that knows what he wants.

Carl and Pat said...

Truly this is one unique kid! He never ceases to amaze us. It's really quite remarkable that he can talk non-stop from West Jordan to Rexburg, and never repeat the same thing, except "Guess what..."