Monday, March 05, 2012

If You're A Slacker And You Know It Clap Your Hands!

**Clap Clap**

Oh hi everybody! How are you doing?

Heh Heh, I forgot how time consuming a newborn is. I feel like my days and nights blend together so fast that I blink and 3 weeks have whizzed by! It's great though, I wouldn't change anything about it....except maybe if I had a choice I'd change the fact that Lillie has a cold. No Bueno.

If I could do this all day, I would:


So snuggly!

But I have to do other stuff so let's just dive right into my life shall we?

Carson participated in his first Klondike, winter scouting campout. Who the heck would WANT to go camping in February??? Scouts. That's who. Crazy scouts. Right before they went to bed (notice I didn't say "sleep"? Yeah, that's cuz they didn't sleep!) Sam texted me and told me it was 7 degrees. The next morning he texted me and said it was 6 degrees. Shiver me timbers!
I think after Carson's toes thawed out he was glad he went. It's good to toughen him up.


See this guy? He's the scout master. He's about to take Carson DOWN and teach him what it means to get white-washed. That's what happens when you throw snow balls at the scout master!


You'd think he would learn his lesson, but he didn't. He kept throwing snow. I believe he got white washed twice.


Ummmmm, the blind leading the blind? Yeah, prolly.


A sign on the bathroom door that reads "Keep this place clean. Shoot straight!" Do you think it helped? NOT LIKELY!!! I think when I count my blessings I will now include "I'm blessed because I am not in charge of cleaning a scout camp bathroom."


Now onto the Science Fair.

I have a confession. Well, most of you probably already know this about me...One of my fears about having children was dealing with big projects at school like the Science Fair! I'm GREAT with the day to day routine of life....get up, get ready, do your reading, go to school, do your daily homework, brush your teeth, quit hitting your brother....etc. However, when something pops up out of the ordinary, I cringe. The Science Fair falls into the cringe-category. Luckily, I married Sam. Sam is super amazing at the project stuff that does not fall into the daily routine category. He made Carson come up with an idea of what he wanted to do. Carson chose Magnetic Shielding. Sam patiently worked with Carson while he came up with ideas on how to do this project. It was pretty cool!




I was so happy on the day it was due because I could check it off the "list" and we could move on with our life. Carson came home from school that day and said "I have something really bad to tell you....but I have to go to the bathroom right now!" and he tried running down the hall to the restroom. I grabbed the back of his collar and dragged him back to where I was standing and said "I don't think so! What happened???" I thought he got in trouble at school or something! He said "I made DISTRICT!" and ran to the bathroom.

Oh boy, Carson now has to take his science fair project to the District Level. I was laughing that he said it was bad news because secretly I kind of felt the same way. Don't judge me! I was proud of him, but now we have all this extra work that doesn't fall into the daily routine category! :) So the next week we went to a different school in the District and he set up his project.

I am not going to lie. After seeing what other kids did for their projects I felt kind of bad for Carson. His poster was pretty simple. I'd say 90% of the displays at District were 200% more impressive than his. :) Sam and I gave each other the well-at-least-he-gets-experience look and we went home. The next night Carson had a 10 minute interview with a judge. Parents were not allowed to be in the same room during the interview. Carson came home and said he felt good about how it went. He said there was only one question he couldn't answer but when he turned it around and asked the judge what she thought the answer was, she didn't know. ha ha!

At least it's over and we can go back to the daily routine.

But wait.

The next night I received an email from the District telling us Carson was a 1st place winner at the District Science Fair and now he is moving onto the Central Utah Science & Engineering Fair at the end of the month at BYU. Seriously? I couldn't believe it! He gets to go to an Awards Ceremony tonight where they get their blue ribbons. The way I figure, one of two things must have happened: Either Carson is brilliant during an interview, OR, a lot of the students who made District didn't interview very well because their parents did most of their projects. Perhaps it was a combination of both. Whatever the reason, we are so excited for Carson to have this experience! :)

This past weekend Lillie got a cold. Oh man, I feel so bad for her. I've never had an 8 week old be so sick. We blessed her yesterday at church and I was just praying that she wouldn't cough or cry during her blessing...or even worse, puke all over herself! Luckily, she was a champ and slept most of the day! PHEW!

Sam's mom made some eclairs for the occasion and we helped frost them. Cameron helped by licking the frosting off the beaters. Just a little excited I think!


Lillie's blessing dress has some history. Way before Lillie was born I asked my friend Kendra if she would make a blessing dress for Lillie out of my wedding dress. She happily and graciously agreed to do so. She has had my dress since Thanksgiving and just thinking about how to do it. The last weekend in February she came over and measured Lillie. By the next day she had made the dress...an exact replica of my wedding dress just in miniature form for Lillie! Oh my word, I love it soooooo much! In fact, she even kept the actual skirt length the same. It is absolutely gorgeous! She even made a headband and bracelet out of beads and flowers from my wedding dress. I will definitely get some better pictures later when she's happier and not sick, but here's the gist of it:

Getting a bath before dressing her. Oh I love that face!


If I took her binky out she cried. Grrrr.



Still scratching my head over the red hair!




My cousin, Maile, had her 4th baby 3 weeks before Lillie was born. Maile lives in Oregon and she had the brilliant idea to travel here for her son's baby blessing! Yay!! So, we blessed them both on Sunday and had an awesome lunch afterwards. I just love my family! This picture is a bit blurry...Maile, did you end up with a better picture? If so, email it to me! :)


Finally....
Here is Lillie's birth announcement. A big thanks to the photographer, Michele Reyes, and to my friend, Laura Hildebrand for putting them together for me!

8 comments:

PrincessKatie said...

Cute PIctures I did the same thing with my wedding dress for Hailey

Ginger said...

Your kids are awesome! I know I'm taking a risk here because I might be wrong, but I still think she is going to turn blond. Her hair is reminding me a lot of Eli's and how bright his turned before going blond. Either way, she is striking and beautiful.

Natalie said...

Amazing, amazing blessing dress. I love it!

And you perfectly articulated my exact feelings on daily routine stuff. I'm AWESOME at that. But I hate the extra stuff - school projects, birthday parties, Christmas (just kidding on christmas).

I'm laughing my head off about Carson making it to state. Good job! I'm sure the judges were keen on finding out who did their projects on their own. WTH is magnetic shielding?

Jess said...

Way to go Sarcon!! I'm so proud of you!
I love her dress. Such a cute idea!

Also, I miss you guys so much.

The Buckley's said...

Wow congrats to carson for the science fair!! that is awesome.

Lilly is adorable carrie! he blessing dress is amazing and i think that is such a cool idea to use your wedding dress. i wish i would have thought of that. too bad i'm done having kids.

I LOVE her announcement too! she is just too cute!

laura said...

i love that first picture of you holding her... you just look so happy!

the blessing dressed turned out beautiful!!!!

Ashlee, Justin, & Owen said...

I love the wedding dress idea! You are so creative! If you want I can send you an invite to my blog. Just email me its briggsashlee@gmail.com.

Kristi said...

I've been a total blog slacker and haven't posted or read in a while. It was great to catch up on yours. Your Lily is SO cute!! Girls can be lots of fun:) And I feel the exact way about school projects!! Jason and I laughed the other day when I was doing research for Zac and Jason was working on his space derby for Scouts. Where was Zac?? Oh, playing video games!! Gotta love those parent projects. You are amazing!!!!