Sunday, August 09, 2009

Donuts.....MmMmMmMmMm

Yesterday Sam and I decided to share our wedding anniversary with our children. We hiked Donut Falls. I've heard of this hike for years but I've never actually taken the time to experience it for myself.

I must say....we saw some pretty country! Very fun hike and easy for kids too! Parker was pretty funny because he kept tripping and barely catching himself before he fell. Each time I would say "good save" and he would reply "yep...again" in a monotone voice. That kid cracks me up!

Carson would run ahead of us and then hide in a bush and scare the be-jee-bees out of me as I walked by. Then he would laugh a demented laugh and run past me to do it all over again. He gave me about 13 heart attacks because he would climb a really steep part of the trail and instead of carefully climbing back down, he would run FULL SPEED ahead with the momentum of the mountain. I kept thinking "oh man, which hospital is closest to us that will take our insurance" because I was sure we were going to need stitches or a cast to set a broken leg! He never fell, not even once! Sam kept chuckling while I kept gasping.

Cameron was just happy as pie to be riding on his dad's back! See?


We have a book that talks about 25 hikes in the Salt Lake area, ranked from easiest to hardest. I think Donut Falls was like #8 or #9. We are slowing working our way down the list. It's been really fun! We've had some fun adventures so far. Remember this? My mom found that gem of a rock on one of the hikes from our book!





This picture of Cameron cracks me up. He's pointing at the waterfall. Check out the "writing" on the tree behind him. Appropriate for a wedding anniversary hike don't you think??


More fun:



C'mon Carson, he's not heavy...he's your brother.

9 comments:

Nicole Marsh said...

I love that hike, I don't think that I have been there for 5 years! Cute pictures.

Carl and Pat said...

You guys have so much fun. I love the comment about Parker--it's just so "Parker." These kind of activities make wonderful memories. Keep it up.

mindy said...

I also love that hike. You use to be able to hike up the stream to the top of the falls and stand behind the falls in a open cavern area. But then part of the falls collapsed and ruined that. Still a beautiful hike though. I am glad you guys enjoyed it.

Maria said...

Happy Anniversary. Love the pics. Love the reminder of your mom's "rock". I seriously think about/picture that rock everytime Regan (my six-year old rock collector) picks up a rock on a hike. There is always a little fear as she lifts it up now that I know what the possiblities are...

laura said...

i keep hearing that donut falls is a great kid friendly hike...maybe one day we'll try it...

except now that i think about it...in the eleven years i've been with tom, i don't ever think we've EVER been on a hike together, so yeah, maybe one day we won't try it!

Toni said...

That looks like a super fun hike! I think it is awesome that you have a book of hikes in the slc area. I had no idea things like that existed. :)

PrincessKatie said...

Cute pidtures. I am shocked you've never been on that hike. I have gone on it a lot. years ago they were going to close it since it is on private property and I am glad they neve3r did. Hey do you mind emailng me about those hikes. katielarsen4395@msn.com

fern said...

hoppy anniversary! great pictures- it made me remember the pictures that i took when i took my little brats! those were good times- i have a picture of adam and shelley when they were around 8 or 10 on that hike together- now they are hiking it with there little one!!

Anonymous said...

Sam is sooooooo good looking!