Friday, August 14, 2009

A Little Nostalgia

Today, and for the past few weeks, Cameron has really been testing my small reserves of patience. This morning when he was crying at 6:30am I determined that I needed a break. I took my kids to school then brought Cameron to my mom. She graciously offered to keep him until I picked Parker up from Kindergarten. I was elated! I had 2 whole hours to myself.

I came home, plugged in Pandora Radio and listened to the "80's throwback, 90's comeback" station REALLY loud. In fact, if you live in my neighborhood, I'm sorry if you heard it. I just needed to be able to work without anybody saying "mommy?" and that old school music was the perfect thing to fill the unusual silence!

This station is my favorite one right now. I heard songs I hadn't heard since I was in elementary school and jr high!

Guns N Roses (Sweet Child O Mine is super awesome), Tom Petty, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, AC/DC... it all took me back to a simpler time when I had almost no responsibilities.

Up to the age of 13 I lived in a really tiny town in Southeastern Idaho. When I wasn't in school I was riding my bike around the block or jumping on the trampoline. We had a ditch behind my house so we'd play in it sometimes. I never thought it was weird that a cow pie would float past me, it was just part of the country life! We had a pet snake and that was normal. Our cat had babies every year because I don't think anybody knew what it meant to "fix" their pets! We had a huge garden. I remember one summer my friends and I would dare each other to take a huge bite out of an onion (like an apple) from my parents garden. It wasn't until I was listening to these songs this morning, and I was thinking back to those days, that I thought "Huh, I wonder if that irritated my mom to find onions in her garden that had bites out of them?"

So, after all these years....Mom, I'm sorry for eating your onions. If it's any consolation, it was really gross. I think I gagged a few times.

In the fall of 1988 we moved to Seattle and I went to High School during the popular grunge era. Nirvana anyone? My closet was full of flannel plaid shirts and Birkenstocks. I left behind Guns N Roses, and my simple life, and began High School. I got my first real job (shout-out to NAPA Auto Parts!) and started filling out college applications. That move ended my carefree childhood, which is good, because we all need to grow up sometime.

However, this morning, I had 2 hours of carefree time where I got to listen to "Paradise City", "Sweet Emotion", "It's My Life", and "November Rain". Axl Rose put it perfectly in "November Rain" when he sings "everybody needs sometime on your own, everybody needs some time all alone". Thank you Axl. I couldn't have said it better myself!

6 comments:

Sam said...

Awe, sweet. Most of the time I would much rather listen to music loudly than watch a movie in my spare time (what's that?) If I'm ever home alone Carrie will come home to the stereo blaring downstairs and me just sitting in the chair enjoying it. Good job Carrie! Remind me to update my blog tonight...

Carl and Pat said...

Yep--you looked rested when you returned for your little guy. Glad we could help you maintain your sanity. (And here I thought you were working on mid-month cutoff!)

Sarah said...

Loved this post. Napa Auto Parts reminds me of you. And,of course, Eddie Bauer too!

fern said...

axl who?? hehehe - next time you can call me, i am really missing my boys!!

Unknown said...

Way to go and reclaim your pre-children identity. We can't forget who we were, can we? It reminds me of REM's Nightswimming: "These things they go away; replaced by everyday."

Natalie said...

And all this time, your mom would sit out at night with her .22, taking aim at the poor raccoons who were "doing the darndest thing! They're taking bites out of my onions. Just the onions. Isn't that wierd Carl?"

I loved this post. I think I'm going to Pandora right now and listening to that station.