Sunday, August 15, 2010

Shooting Stars? Meteor Shower?

Friday night we went up the canyon and hung out with our friends, the Strong's. It was fun to just enjoy nature and let kids be kids. I'm really surprised nobody ended up in the ER. Seriously, don't tell me miracles don't happen these days because I beg to differ! You should have seen the steep hill next to our picnic area, lots of loose rocks and sharp sticks!

Cameron was really good all night, relatively speaking!


When did these boys get so grown up? I swear I'm still retaining the water weight from being prego with Carson. How can he be almost-ten?



Sam said to the boys: Make your face do whatever you're feeling right now. Judging from this reaction, I'd say Carson is feeling like he wants to either climb a mountain OR be an astronaut when he grows up. Parker just remembered he wasn't wearing underwear.


Now Carson is about to test gravity and Parker is realizing the unfortunately effects of chafing.


Sorry Parker, it's tough being the younger brother!


This is Ady. I was watching Cameron throw rocks into the creek when Ady came up to me with marshmallow dirty hands, just like this. Ady grabbed a handful of pebbles and threw them with all her might towards the creek. I didn't hear a splash so I looked at her to see what happened. All the rocks were stuck to her hands! Oh man I laughed pretty hard. She was so ticked! She kept prying them from her hands and trying to throw them but they just kept getting more and more gooey. She's a fun kid to have around!


After the kids wore off some of their energy, we went higher into the canyon to watch the meteor showers that have been going on. We went to Silver Lake right around 9pm. It was getting pretty dark and was super awesome/eerie to be walking around the lake in the dark. If you remember, Silver Lake is where Cameron fell into the black marshy water a few weeks ago. This time I was prepared with a stroller! The kids were a little nervous about walking around at night. So, being the compassionate and loving person that I am.....I told Carson and his friend Tanner that there was nothing to worry about because the Boogey Man doesn't show himself that often, but he does love hanging out in the bushes right by the boardwalk we were on. A little while later Parker softly says "Mom, tell me more of this Boogey Man...?" He was pretty nervous. Whoops, didn't know he was listening! Had to do a little repair work there....

Once it was really dark, we set up our camping chairs by our vehicles and watches the stars, or meteor showers. I have no idea if they were shooting stars or meteors. Are they the same thing? Anyway, it was so awesome! We left around 10:30 or so because it was getting dang cold and the kids were exhausted. Very fun evening!

Today for dinner I decided to make meatballs. If you know me at all, you know my aversion to raw meat. Amazingly, I solved my 35-year battle with having to touch raw meat! This is all very exciting for me. I said "hey Carson, wanna help make dinner?" He was more than happy to help. We measured out the ingredients and then I told him to use his hands and mix up the meatball mixture. I swear, I almost had a tear in my eye watching him do the dirty work. If having kids ever gets to be too much to handle, I will look at this picture and happily remember the benefits!


Meanwhile, Cameron crawled under the kitchen rug and took a rest. I don't question why, I just try to go with the flow around here!



Completely off subject here, but I'm going to go into mourning when watermelon season is over. I just need you to know that. However, I'm the world's worst watermelon chooser. My dad is the best watermelon chooser. I plead with him all the time to pick me out a watermelon for me when he's at the store and he does because he's nice like that. Tonight Carson told me that "Grandpa should start charging you an extra quarter for the watermelon that he delivers because he has to do all the hard work like picking it out AND bringing it over!" He's right you know. Sorry dad, I believe I am taking advantage of your skills!

6 comments:

Holly Strong said...

So much fun! We loved it too. I will have to have you send me some pics and I'll update my blog. AS for the watermelon, my Dad can do it to. But I've also learned that the produce guy at Smith's is pretty darn good and he'll even cut a piece out for me to eat...yumma.

Ellison's said...

That sounded like fun!! I've learned a secret about picking a watermelon and it's actually worked. So the "dots" on either of the melon. One is bigger than the other. You want to look at the smallest of the two and the smaller it is the better the melon! Let me know if you try that and how the melon was!

fern said...

next adventure.... cow tipping! missed you guys this week!!

DJ and Gin Family said...

We forgot about the meteor showers... I'm a loser mom about those things. Oh well, maybe next time you can remind me about it. It would be like paying it forward, since your Dad does all of your watermelon dirty work and your kids the raw meat dirty work. Don't forget. Thanks in advance!!

Natalie said...

I'm still laughing at the "I forgot my undies" face. Great caption!

Carl and Pat said...

I'm hiring Carson to make my meatballs, also. I don't mind touching the raw hamburger, I just don't like the whole process. Poor Parker--one of these days he is going to catch on, then Carson better watch out! (G'Ma Clark)