Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cleanup Continues

You know what's great? Facebook is great. Sunday night I put a status update on Facebook, asking for help in cleaning up our tree Monday night. I promised goodies as an added incentive.

The turnout was incredible! At one point I looked over our yard and couldn't believe the amount of men, women, and children helping us clean up this mess! It's times like this I am reminded of how great my friends and neighbors are. Seriously, no amount of baked goods can do justice to the gratitude I feel for everybody who came and gave of their time. THANK YOU!!!

Shocking, I know, but I didn't bring the camera out until after all the smaller limbs were cleaned up. Once the beastly trunk was all that was left, I grabbed the camera because it was quite a chore to saw it down to manageable pieces.

Random shots from the night:













The following pictures were taken by our friend, Ryan Patterson. He is more aware of angles and light than I am, hence the reason I handed the camera over. Basically, Mike Brough showed up with a heavy duty chainsaw (previously 2 chainsaws of our neighbors were messed up by our green tree) and got to work. The rest of us stood back in awe of his manly tools. The best quote of the night was when a bunch of guys were manually sawing the trunk of the tree, right when Brough showed up. I heard somebody say "Uh oh, Brough is going to make fun of us!" It made me gut laugh.





At the end of the night we had everything cleaned up except the huge ol' mangled and twisted stump. Tonight, some more neighbors showed up and with a truck and a winch, the stump was pulled out of the ground. All that is left to do is a dump run (that statement made me giggle like an immature 4th grade boy) and finish digging up some roots. I guess we also need to fill the hole with dirt and sod. Not bad for a huge tree falling down 2 days ago! Again, I have the best friends evah!

After cleaning up the mess, we discovered the core of the tree and a lot of the roots were rotten. Also, the roots didn't go deep at all, most were right at the surface. It just goes to show you: If you aren't firmly rooted in what you stand for, with clean/strong intent, you will fall. You will fall hard!

5 comments:

B/T Frank said...

Way to bring a spiritual lesson into the end of a major cleanup! hahaha I love the last 2 lines of the post!

DJ and Gin Family said...

Hopefully if you do fall hard, you will have good friends and family to help clean up the mess. See what I did right there?
I'm sorry I wasn't there to help, I am not on Facebook. It looks like the guys had it covered though.

The Airharts said...

That is a crazy big project! This post makes me miss living there so much...it's good to see everyone there!

Emily said...

That is so insane! I can't believe it fell over. I do love your pictures though to see some faces I haven't seen in a while. I'm glad it's all going well though and wish I was there to help too.

Carl and Pat said...

A chainsaw and flipflops!! Can't beat that! So glad you have such awesome neighbors and friends.