Sunday, March 06, 2011

The Minds Of Kids

I would love to live inside of my boys brains, maybe just for one day each.

What an education that would be!!

Carson's world would be filled with day dreams, ideas on how to hide behind doors and scare me half to death, ways to make brushing his teeth take 30 minutes, and endless possibilities for ketchup uses.


Parker's world would be non-stop laughter. Basically, a live "Calvin and Hobbs" comic strip, mixed with a little "Far Side" and perhaps Homer Simpson. I would find all sorts of ideas on how he could become the next super hero whose kryptonite is people who make him the butt end of their jokes.


Cameron's world would be the PERFECT blend of both Carson's world and Parker's world. A little bit too much wit for a 2 year old, in fact, just enough to be considered frightening. However, just enough innocence left in him that turns his mom's heart to a big melted pile of love-oatmeal. I'd also find some confusion as to why he can relax enough to pee whilst sitting, but standing up makes him freeze and seize up.


I've been thinking about the differences and similarities in my boys a lot lately. As a whole, they are so obviously brothers and I really love that. Separately, they each bring such fun to the whole equation.

Example: Last week was picture day at school. For spring pictures, you get to pick your pose out of 4 examples shown on the brochure. I asked Parker which pose he'd like. He looked at the brochure and "thought" out loud. He said "Hmmm, I guess I'll have to pick pose 4. I really like pose 2, but I am not brown, so I can't choose that one.". I was so confused until I looked at the pose 2 picture and realized it was a little African-American kid! Sam and I laughed pretty hard. Sam had to explain to Parker that pose 2 was for everyone, regardless of your color!

It's tough to be misunderstood. I remember when I was a kid and had a "duh" moment. I received a little purse and wallet for Christmas. Inside the wallet was a card you could fill out so if you ever lost your purse, somebody would be able to read your ID card and return it to you. I could answer everything easy enough...name, address, phone number, age.... but then I came to the next part which read "sex". I was shocked that I had to answer that question on the id card so I wrote "not yet". Oh boy did my family belly-gut-larf-out-lard on that one! Of course, for the next several years, any time that question came up my family was quick to exclaim "BOY, GIRL, or NOT YET?"

The shame.

Good thing I had 3 brothers because I took my embarrassment hits early on. Now, I pretty much try to take everything in good humor. We're still trying to teach Cameron this concept. Look at Carson and Parker laughing at some inside joke! I love it!


He doesn't think his brothers are funny (yet) but at least he knows how to defend himself.


And all is well.


Uh, kind of. If I squint it almost looks like Cameron is considering a smile.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another response to the "sex" question in the wallet as a kid at least you knew what it was. All I knew at that age was that it's something you don't talk about but I think the cows and the bulls did it!

Uncle Phil

fern said...

your kids crack me up!! love the pictures-




word ver-
boatag .... make me want to go boating!!

DJ and Gin Family said...

Hilarious! I remember kids asking me if I was a virgin. Not knowing what that was, of course I said no. They sure laughed at me.
My girls are similar with the 2 older opposites and the swirl cone for the third. It makes me wonder what a fourth would be like. Maybe you should try it out and let me know.

laura said...

your boys are awesome!

hope that potty training's going okay!

Carl and Pat said...

Classic post! I don't even remember the "not yet" incident. Looks like "the talk" was a bit late, if at all. Love ya, kiddo!