Monday, October 19, 2009

Butterfield Canyon

Wait, is that the name of the canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains? That looks weird to me now...

Anyway, I have lived in Utah since 1996 and I have heard a few people talk about this canyon, but I've never actually driven it before...until Friday night.

Unfortunately, we left our house a little too late. By the time we got to the top of the canyon, this was our view:


It's a beautiful sunset, but we couldn't see any of the actual canyon.

Carson was FREAKED out. I can kind of understand, lots of the road up the canyon is basically one way with a huge drop off on one side...pretty scary with a car coming towards you. We determined that we would go up the canyon again the next day when it was still light outside. Carson defiantly declared: If you come up here again I will get myself a baby sitter so I don't have to go!


So the next day, my mom agreed to be the sitter, and the rest of us climbed the Oquirrh Mountains once again in the mini van! I was feeling pretty ghetto next to all the jeeps and off-road types of vehicles but I didn't care. It was awesome! I can't believe I've never explored this area before!

At the very top you are looking down into the Bingham Copper Mine on the back side. Amazing!

This will blow your mind if you don't live in Utah. Look how close the Jordan River Temple and Oquirrh Mountain temples are!! SWEET!


You know what's even crazier? Just towards the top of the picture and to the right a bit (out of the frame) is where the Draper Temple is located. In fact, at the top of this canyon road, we could see 6 temples: Bountiful, Salt Lake, Draper, Jordan River, Oquirrh Mountain, and Mt Timpanogos.

Fun shots:












In other news....

Fern paints pumpkins for us every year. This year we requested "Bob" from Monsters Vs. Aliens; "Eve" from Wall-E; and a skeleton.

Fern did not disappoint, she never does! Thanks Fern! Let's hope these don't get stolen before Halloween! :)



10 comments:

The Airharts said...

Carson has such the "oldest sibling" complex...I would know I did too growing up...I was allways worriing..my mom called me the worry wart. Poor carson,it's no fun when you cant have fun. That canyon looks fun-we will have to try it sometime(even though I would probably worry about it the whole time too)

Ellison's said...

I've been up there. Its amazing. I'll have to take my family up there. But I'd probably be the one worried about it. I remember going up with a jeep and being worried. The outcome is great!

laura said...

good ol' butterfield canyon.

back when i lived in herriman i had a bronco and had to go to tooele for a baby shower, so i took a shortcut through the canyon and saved myself about 40 minutes, but BOY was it BUMPY!!

PrincessKatie said...

I get freaked out over that canyon too. Next time Carson can come hang out with me! H aha

Sam said...

I could actually get 4 temples in one picture frame, that was pretty amazing to me. The best would be to go up at sunrise...like this Saturday.

mindy said...

The canyon shots are great. We will have to go check it out.
But man those pumpkins are awesome. Good luck keeping them around. Maybe you should bring them in the house at night.

cathy said...

I went to that spot at night with a boyfriend who shall not be named. What a view! (The temples. Really.)

Toni said...

Those pumpkins rock!!!

Nicole Marsh said...

I love the pumpkins! So cute. Maybe I will have to come and steal them. I love Butterfield Canyon, but I haven't been there i years. I will have to go now, it looks like you had a lot of fun.

Ambyr said...

I loved the pics from the canyon. Wow, Nathan and I will have to go up there, it sounds worth it just to see 6 Temples at one time.