Sunday, November 15, 2009

Happy Early Thanksgiving

My cousin's husband has been in Iraq for most of this year and he was able to come home and visit for 2 weeks. He had to leave before the Thanksgiving Holiday so we decided to throw together an early Thanksgiving Dinner in his honor.

It also helped that my other cousin and her family were in town from Oregon. And then my brother's family came down from Rexburg.

We had all the fixins for a great time: food, family, great conversation, and more food!

My parents were kind enough to let the festivities be held at their house. We fit 28 people in their dining room! That was some creative table arrangements. The rest of the kids just had a picnic on the living room floor. Something tells me they wouldn't have been refined enough to sit with the rest of us anyhow! By the way, I love how Parker is like "ya'll can kiss off, I'm not pausing to let anybody take my picture! This food is getting cold!!!"


Here's part of the group...


Here's some more...we had the most amazing spread! Can I tell you about it??


We had turkey, two kinds of stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, veggie tray, rolls, mashed potatoes, gravy, ham....and lots of pies. Oh my. I dreamt about those pies...especially this one. The crust was a chocolate rice crispy treat and the filling was like a peanut butter mousse with more chocolate on top! So rich, it made my nose sweat after about 2 bites but it was totally worth it!


After dinner, Ben showed us some picture of Iraq and we vegged out and let the turkey work its magic on our warm and fuzzy feelings. Overall it was a great night and I'm so thankful to everyone who participated to throw this together in less than a week.

Random shots from the night:







Finally...we had a really great snow storm here yesterday. I came home from a friend's bridal shower to this:


Carson made this snowman all by himself and then he played in the snow, by himself, for most of the day. Oh yeah, AND he shoveled our driveway! I'm loving the "older kid" stage! The possiblities are endless....he's able to contribute back to society now! I'm thinking he can mow my lawn next summer. Oh yeah, 2010 is going to be a great year!

7 comments:

laura said...

so are you going to do thanksgiving dinner again on thanksgiving?! JEALOUS... seriously... so jealous you don't even know

fern said...

that is an awesome snowman! ha i love curtis' face as he is zoned in on the tv! . . . focus, focus -i love your family carrie!!

Carl and Pat said...

You really captured the event perfectly--love these celebrations. We are praying for Ben's safety until he returns in December!

Natalie said...

That makes me excited for thanksgiving - only we're doing it here with just Neal's parents. I need to get back to Utah one of these next holidays.

Amelia said...

I was kinda bummed that I didn't get to come down. Now after seeing the pictures I'm so mad!!! LOL It looked like so much fun and I really wanted to see everybody!

Thomas said...

It was so fun seeing you and chatt'n. That peanut butter cream pie my mom made was delicious. I had it the next morning for breakfast.

Sarah said...

Thank you for posting food descriptions AND pictures. Its almost as good as being there....but WAY healthier! Love your whole crew!