Sunday, May 16, 2010

Who Is Chasing You??

My sister-in-law, Susan, ran her first marathon on Saturday. I applaud her for her strength and endurance. The only way you'd get me to run that far is if somebody were chasing me. Ha Ha, I take that back. I wouldn't run that far. I'd maybe run a half mile before I would stop, wheeze, and ask my attacker how I could help them.

Back to the marathon. It was in Ogden. It was a beautiful Spring day and I loved hanging out with my family while waiting for Susan to cross the finish line.

Here's Darren. Darren is married to Susan. He had been up since 4am. Contrary to this picture, he wasn't grumpy at all! ha ha!


Although he did try ruining my self portrait by sticking his fingers in front of the camera. Yeah.....his fingers are the only thing that ruined this picture....right.... good thing Sam loves how nerdy I am.


There's a cute face. Darren and Susan's youngest, Jacob.


Here comes Susan! Two of her boys, one niece, and Carson jumped out to help her run the last 10 yards or so. Perhaps Carson wasn't the biggest help when he said "you need to run faster!". If he said that to me I'd slap him back to 26 miles ago! Susan is too nice for that. She just smiled through her pain.


See, I told you. She is smiling. I'd be crying because I couldn't breathe.


And now for something completely different.

Without going into too many details or naming names, I just have to say I love my neighborhood and I love the friends we have made here. This weekend I saw so many people pull together to help a common friend through a very difficult time. It was inspiring to see how one person's pain translated into dozens of people's determination to help carry the burden. Problems were resolved and my faith was strengthened. People helping people. It's what we do here. It's all about not giving up. With enough prayers, friends, and faith, it is possible to find the needle in the haystack!

2 comments:

fern said...

she didn't even break a sweat!! way to go susan!!

I am so glad things worked out!!

Carl and Pat said...

We were all impressed and mighty proud...Susan, Michael and Kim are the family runners and put the rest of us to shame. Good job, Susan. (I hope you are walking better now!)