Sunday, February 25, 2007

I Hate For You To Hear This...

After reading the title, you brace yourself for the worst, right? Well, so did I. Those words came out of Carson's mouth tonight, but the way he ended the sentence totally cracked me up: "I hate for you to hear this, but pain makes me laugh."
Of course, he said this to me right after Parker stubbed his toe really hard, and then Carson laughed a big ol' belly laugh!

He takes after his Mom!!!

In fact, this afternoon Carson was trying to do a cartwheel, and he sort of over-extended his leg, and kind of pulled his groin muscle. He was grabbing his inner thigh and crying and I felt bad, but I had a hard time not laughing.

Here's a photo I took of the boys a few days ago, as you can tell, I had to step on their chests, just to keep them still enough for the picture! I honestly don't know what Carson was eating either...something orange and it was NOT cheetos.


Here's something that did not make me laugh: (This is just for my good friend Natalie Service!)

In the winter time I never pay attention to Carson's toenails because he always wears socks, but the other day he was running around the house and I SWEAR I heard his toenails clacking on the kitchen floor! GA-NASTY! They look much better now!

Remember Carson's sticker/chore chart? Well, it took 2 weeks, but Carson finally finished every task, every day, for the entire week. So, just like I explained in the previous entry, Carson didn't want to go through the dinosaur museum, he just wanted to get one of those cool stretched pennies. Here he is, in all his glory:


And, here is a TRUE story, I promise!!!
Carson was practicing his counting-by-two's skills. He was really fast up to ten and then he started getting a little shaky. "2, 4, 6, 8, 10...12............14
............................" Just then, Parker whispers to Carson "16". Sam and I started laughing our guts out! I know it was totally by chance that Parker got it right, but it was almost freaky!!

Now, I need to get serious for a minute:
Since this is basically my journal, I have to tell you about my trying week. A member of my ward died this past Tuesday. It was really sad, he was only 23 years old. He left behind his wife, 3 year old son, and 1 month old son. It was heart breaking. His name is Jason Walker and here is his obituary. But in the middle of the sadness, I had a whole new level of frustration: Before this week, I had only met Jason's family once. They were not active members of our ward and while I was out doing Relief Society visits about 3 weeks ago, I met them, very briefly because they had just gotten home from the hospital with their baby. Imagine my surprise when my Bishop emailed me last Tuesday and said "Jason Walker died today". After the funeral on Saturday, I was telling my Bishop and Elders Quorum president that after hearing about Jason's life, I was convinced he seemed like somebody Sam would have loved hanging out with. Today in church, Sam told me that the Elders Quorum president (Davis Strong) bore his testimony and said "Obviously at a funeral, people are going to honor the best of the individual, if Jason was one-tenth of what was said, then we missed out on a great opportunity to know him. Who else might be living in our neighborhood that we haven't taken the time to get to know?" I totally echo what Davis said. Let this be a lesson to us all! Don't let somebody's feelings of the church get in your way of getting to know them. I'm fortunate because my calling has forced me to knock on lots of doors of people I've never met. Yes, there are a lot of uncomfortable conversations, but I've also met a few people that I can honestly call them my friends, and no, they don't come to church! But, if they ever do, they will see a familiar, friendly face.

Okay, I will get off my soap box now. Thanks for "listening" to me.

4 comments:

Amelia said...

that's so sad, he was 23, i'm 23 in august and he has 2 kiddo's already! thanks for the inspiration message, it was well needed. and your boys... so freaking cute.

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

One thing to say about Carson's toe nails...."ssssssssssssssick!' He probably sounded like the velociraptors on Jurassic Park, when they walk, their toe nails click on the ground. Did you have to get the sander out to cut them babies? I was surprised to hear they were Carson's toe nails, and not Sam's...!

Curtis and Shandy said...

So did you even go in the dinosaur musueam, of just get the penny and go?

Delene said...

Way to go Carson! Keep up the good work. Was sorry to hear about your ward member. And your Elders Q. president was right.....who out there can we get to know and love that doesn't come to church.