Friday, May 25, 2007

Green Pictures...

As I've mentioned earlier, my camera has a terminal disease...it turns everything green. But, I'm pretty excited about my latest success so if you can endure the sickly photos, I'll tell you about it!

With the help of my good friend, Cathy Gilmore, I have successfully made artisan bread. The process of making this one loaf took about 24 hours. First you make a starter, which ferments for several hours. Then, you use some of your starter and add some yeast, flour, and water. This becomes what is called a "sponge". The sponge sits overnight and then next day you use the sponge and add yeast, flour, and salt to turn it into bread dough. Each step is kind of scary because you have to get the consistency just right. Sam bought me a kitchen scale for Christmas and it came in handy for this bread. Instead of measuring cups of flour, Cathy weighed it so it was more precise. Good thing too because had we gone strictly by cups of flour, we would have put almost a cup too much in the sponge!

After you let the dough rise, you shape it into a round ball and lay it on a tea towel covered in flour. Then you wrap the towel around the dough, coating it with tons of flour, and put it all in a small bowl to raise again. Here is a photo of this step:


After it is done raising, you invert it onto a paddle. Then you put some fancy shallow slices into the top of the loaf and slide it onto a baking stone. I had 2 bread pans in the oven with water in them to create a humid environment. After baking for about 45 minutes at 425 degrees, here is what I had:





It was crunchy/chewy on the outside and full of yummy flavor on the inside!

Now I need to make this bread by myself, without Cathy there to lead me each step of the way! Wish me luck!

Here are a few other random shots:
My neighbor gave me some cupcakes the other day. I gave one to Parker, and he promptly tripped and dropped his outside on the cement. I went inside to get him another cupcake and when I came back outside he was licking the cement clean! Those were some GOOD cupcakes!!!


On the DVD of "Madagascar" there is a music video to the song "I like to move it, move it". My kids LOVE to watch it over and over and over again. They also like to dance to it, but only if they don't think I'm watching. But, they should know...I'm a mom, I'm ALWAYS watching!



Finally, I found an ad for a completely insane product so I had to share!


Sam comes home tomorrow night. I'm so happy! He's been gone since last Saturday and I've missed him! Parker keeps saying "Where is daddy? Is he at work or church?" No matter how many times I tell him he's in Indiana, he doesn't get it.

3 comments:

Curtis and Shandy said...

I am sure your toaster will smell mighty good after a lot of uses.

Anonymous said...

i have found that when i feed my kids they don't have to lick the sidewalk......

Susan said...

Carrie, I'm at work and a translator is sitting in my office waiting for some Spanish clients to come. I'm reading your blog while I'm waiting and I'm trying not to laugh so I don't have to explain myself to him. It's not working. Your last two entries were too funny with your kids.