Sunday, May 13, 2007

I'm Tired!

First of all, Happy Mother's Day to all you women out there who live up to the "motherly" expectations of this day.
For the rest of US, at least you didn't have to cook dinner or clean up afterwards! Well, hopefully you didn't have to....

Parker gave me a great mother's day present today: I was holding him this morning and before I knew it, he shoved his finger up my nose so hard that I got a bloody nose! And then he had the nerve to cry about it!


Just for the record, my mom DOES live up to the expectations of a wonderful mom and she is proving to be quite the grandma as well, so I'm double lucky!

Oh yeah, Spiderman 3 was really cheesy so if you like the cheese-factor, you'll love this movie. Just so you know, I don't like cheese unless it's melted on my breakfast burrito...or a grilled cheese sandwich...or lasagna--oh yeah, lasagna is good eatin!

We've had a busy Saturday/Sunday!

I woke my poor family up at 6:30am on Saturday so we could go buy our summer flowers and get them planted before it got too hot. I'm so glad we did because now that project is out of the way and I can enjoy the hot days from inside my air conditioned house!!
We planted petunias and geraniums in all our flower beds. I seem to stick to those two kinds of flowers every year, but they are so pretty in full bloom so "why fix what isn't broke?"


I'll take more pictures when they are bigger...

Saturday night we had a ward Talent/No Talent show. It was a blast! For my talent I made monster cookies...Sam took a picture of the dough...yumma! Sometime you'll have to ask Sam what kind of candy is in monster cookies. His explanation will leave you wondering "who is Reese?" Trust me, just ask him!


Many of you know how inventive my husband is. He rigged a pulley system for our garbage can so when we throw out diapers I don't have to walk down the stairs, into the garage, to throw out the diaper. I just pull a string, the garbage can lid opens, and I throw the diaper in! Well, on Saturday he decided to move the garbage can from the side of the garage to the back of the garage. Not to worry though, he re-rigged the pulley for me! Check it out!!



Parker still has a crazy rash. My neighbor said she thinks it's "Fifth Disease" or I guess it's also called "Slapped Cheek syndrome". Apparently it's not serious, but it will take a little time to wear off. It's a virus he got from somebody sneezing on him. Maybe I'll quit laughing at Carson's germ-phobia because after all, he didn't get a rash!!


My camera is in the process of a slow death, so even though this picture is kind of weird, I think it is sooo cute! My feet were killing me so Parker was giving me a foot massage! That's my boy!


Today we had a delicious dinner at my parents house, steak on the grill...oh it was dreamy good. There was not one piece of fat on my steak so my dad was quite proud of me that I ate every bite! Sam was in charge of dessert and he made the most incredible fruit pizza ever!! Check it out!!


Here is the recipe for the fruit pizza:

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth. Mix in egg. combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Press dough into an ungreased pizza pan. I had parchment paper under the dough for easy removal.
Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla until light. Spread on cooled crust.
Arrange desired fruit on top of filling.

GLAZE
1/2 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon orange zest

In a saucepan, combine sugar, salt, corn starch, orange juice, lemon juice and water. Cook and stir over medium heat. Bring to a boil, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until thickened. Remove from heat, and add grated orange rind. Allow to cool, but not set up. Spoon over fruit. Chill for two hours, then cut into wedges and serve.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank you for the recipe!! I am hosting book club Thursday and planned to make fruit pizza- now I won't have to find a recipe! Awesome- and Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

that was awesome- you forgot to mention helping plant grandma sweets flowers on your list of everything else you did! thanks- it was fun -- i haven't tried that type of fruit pizza- it sounds good

Anonymous said...

Like father, like daughter, as the saying goes. Carl also decided we would get up at 6:30 so we could work in the yard before it got too hot! The meal was incredible--Sam and Carl are keepers!

nalani said...

I'm seriously impressed with that pizza! Maybe Jed and Sam could start a wedding business together---Jed could do the flowers and Sam could do the catering!!! Happy Mother's Day a day late by the way!

Delene said...

Carrie, I think Fifth's disease is contagious! Just info from Kindergarten!

The cookies looked yummy!

Carrie said...

Delene,
Once the rash shows up, he's not contagious anymore. It's kind of bizarre to me because you can't see any symptoms when they are contagious, and once the rash appears they are harmless. Crazy!!

Susan said...

Do you like melted cheese on pizza? That fruit pizza looks yummy!

Rose said...

Sam,
That pizza looks yummy! As always, you're awesome!

I lost 20 lbs. so far. Yippie!!!

Connie and Mike said...

I love to read your blog. I am Holly's mom and your journal is the way to go.

Hope you don't mind that I commented. I couldn't pass up the pizza moment.

Good Job, Sam.