Friday, January 11, 2008

Late Christmas Present

A few years ago I attended the bridal shower for my nephew's fiance. One of her gifts was a recipe book her sister had compiled of all her favorite recipes. I remember being amazed at all the yummy looking recipes and I really wanted a copy! So as Sam was asking me what I wanted for Christmas about a month ago, I mentioned that he should try to get a copy of this homemade recipe book.

Apparently he was able to get an emailed copy, there were about 150+ recipes. However when he pulled up the recipes in the Word document, all the spacing had been messed up and nothing was aligned properly. He started to fix everything, but basically lost patience and ran out of time.

After Christmas, he told me about the recipe documents and he said "they are there for you to have, but you'll have to fix the spacing." I kind of forgot about it until last night. I was talking to Fern about the woes of what to make for dinner and then I remembered I had all those recipes on my computer, waiting to be fixed. I immediately opened them up and started to get to work. Because I'm so fast and amazing (ha ha ha) I had everything looking proper after about 30 minutes. Since I'm also a bit OCD, I wanted everything done last night so I printed all the recipes, put them in sheet protectors and assembled my newly updated recipe binder. I know it doesn't look like much, but there are over 200 recipes in this book, organized, tabbed, and easy to read!


Now, it's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of cooking....but at least if I get a wild hair I'll have some resources!

In the meantime, I thought I'd share a recipe with you. This recipe came from my mom and dad's friend, Helen...hence the name "Helen's Meatballs". It's one of my favorite dinners! I agree with my mom, she doubles the soup and we serve these over Egg noodles, Mashed potatoes, or rice. I don't even like meat that much but these are AMAZING!!! Try it!!

Helen’s Meatballs
(Mom & Dad’s friend, Helen Smith)

1 lb. hamburger
1 Tblsp. milk
1/2 C. cornflakes, crushed
(can substitute oatmeal)
1/2 tsp. salt/pepper
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1-2 carrots, grated
1 egg
1 onion, finely chopped
1 can cream of mushroom or chicken soup*
1 soup can of milk*

Mix all but soup and form into balls. Brown all sides in frying pan. Add can of soup and one soup can milk to drippings and balls. Simmer 20 minutes. Serve over rice, noodles, or mashed potatoes.
*I usually double the soup and milk to have plenty of gravy. Using evaporated milk for half of the milk makes it more rich.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

laura said...

I'M JEALOUS! i've been trying to get my recipe book together for years!

Natalie said...

Sounds like somebody has the munchies! Your last two blogs were food related. I'm hungry.

cathy said...

Organizing recipes? Are you nesting already? The meatloaf sounds good. Ed loves meatloaf - especially in sandwiches.

Susan said...

Yum, I might make that for dinner tonight.