Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Old School

It's been a week since I've blogged. I'm having blogger-block. Big time.

I've had all sorts of random thoughts, but nothing really blog worthy.

I will say, that I was disgusted by the Academy Awards on Sunday. I didn't watch any of it, except the last 5 minutes. We hosted a youth fireside at our house on Sunday and it was super fun! We played all sorts of games and chilled at the Sweet house. After everyone left, I flipped on the TV and saw that the Oscars were just ending. I watched the final 3 categories: Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Movie.

Sean Penn won Best Actor. At the end of his speech, he basically trash-talked Americans who didn't vote a certain way last fall. The issue is not what ticked me off. It just made me so angry that he basically called everyone ignorant and ridiculous for not voting a certain way. Isn't that what makes America great--voting for what we believe in and accepting the majority? Last time I checked, we weren't a communist country, thank goodness. Just because he's a celebrity, he doesn't have a right to impose his beliefs on others! I quit being bothered by peer pressure after Junior High.

So, excuse me, Sean Penn, I didn't check with you last fall when I voted, and I probably won't check with you again next time I vote.
Get over it.

Moving on (I feel much better, thanks!).

Last night I plugged in my external hard drive that has pictures on it from the year 2000 to 2006. I decided to be random.

I opened a year, closed my eyes, clicked on a few pictures, and moved them to my memory card.

Here are the results:

Carson as a chunky baby. Not a very good picture. Check out the scene we had from our kitchen window! I loved our apartment downtown SLC. I literally lived a block away from work. So fun.


Before Carson turned 2, he got rambunctious with my cousin, and flew/fell/landed on a tile hearth by our fireplace. He got stitches in the front of his ear, the back of his ear, and in his head. It was awesome. As he had dried blood in his ear and down his neck, the nurse walked into our room. Carson took one look at her and exclaimed "All BETTER!" and pointed at his mangled ear. How did he know to be nervous? Truth be told, we probably told him they were going to fix it with a long needle. MMMWWWHAHA-HA-HA


Fern used to babysit Carson from the time he was 7 weeks old to 3 years old. Good times! Thankfully, Fern would email pictures to us all the time so we have a record of his youth. :)

Here he is 2 months old in Fern's stocking:


Here's my niece Mel, holding Carson.


Mel has changed a lot since then. See? ha ha! She's about to turn 19 years old! Dang Gina.


Here's Carson, attacking Fern's fence or something. :) I told you, I closed my eyes and clicked at random!


Here's Aaron, who is now like 23-ish, carrying Carson around in a laundry bag.


I think Mel and Aaron were bored one day, probably off track from school, so they made Carson a lovely gown of grass. Ooh-la-la.


Classic of Curtis. He always looks like that...JUST KIDDING. I call this "Fun with leaf blower".


I'll do anything to freak out Carson, AKA Germ-o-phobe.


Enter Parker.

He cried and was grumpy a lot.


Grumpy pants. He matches nice with Sam. They are at Uncle Jack's cabin in Moroni UT.


C'mon Parker, I DARE you to smile!


Well, that's all for memory lane. I'll do it again another time because it was fun!

In other news, Sam sprained his ankle...again. Fern snapped a picture right after the rolling-of-the-ankle. Nice shot!


Sam was trying to take a picture of Parker, who was sitting on some train tracks. That's when he stepped on a loose rock, on a hill, and when the rock went a rolling, so did Sam's ankle. One step forward, two steps back...


Fern took this picture of Parker--he was holding the water tower. Sweet!

8 comments:

mindy said...

I had the same reaction to Mr. Penn's comments. I even said out loud to Peter "who do they think they are?" (meaning celebrities) A majority of people have the same feelings about gay marriage and voted according to those feelings and now holloywood gets to declare those people (me included) un-American and trash talk us. Ugh, so bothersome!
On another note...
cute pics of your family.

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

i was left unsettled at his speech as well, and the reaction of all the snobs who think that just because they're famous (or think they are) or have money, that their opinion is the only one that counts and the rest of us? We should all be ashamed.

Other than that, thanks for blogging Carried, I've so missed your updates.

Natalie said...

I loved that apartment in Salt Lake. Ahh, to be in President Hinckley's ward.

That grass shirt picture is the best! Tell Sam to learn how to walk.

That water tower is in my memory bank from days gone by. . . . I used to wonder how the water got in there as a kid.

cathy said...

Welcome back, Carrie! I love looking at old pictures, besides the reminder that we've definitely aged these last few years. I swear I was 25 for ten years and then I suddenly turned 40 five years early.
Bad luck with Sam's ankle, eh? Was it the same one?
You need to come up to the farm with the kids. When it's warmer. Finally.

Rose said...

Poor Saminator! We're at Wolf Creek. Please take lots of pictures when you see Rod tomorrow!

Carl and Pat said...

Oh right--we all know what a wonderful role model Sean Penn is, don't we--give me a break! I love the picture of Carson in the laundry bag. The view from your downtown kitchen window brought back so many good memories. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, kiddo!

Susan said...

Carrie, I DVR'd the academy awards and picked and choose what to watch. But when they were over I felt let down. And it wasn't just Sean Penn's speech, either. It was the huge applause after and many other comments stars made that night. Makes me wonder what kind of movies will be up for academy awards when my kids are adults.

Alison said...

Just so you know Oprah loved Sean's comments. So you better check with her before you vote next time too. I love the picture of Carson in the grass!