Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Let The Punishment Fit The Crime



Cameron has a terrible habit right now. He can SENSE when somebody leaves the bathroom door open and he runs inside and plays in the toilet. He has done this countless times over the past few days. It's highly annoying! No matter what punishment I give him, he just keeps on doing it. I've tried swatting his bum, putting him in time-out, and flicking his fingers. Nothing works, he just laughs and keeps on doing it whenever he can.

Yesterday I told Carson and Parker over breakfast: Please close the bathroom door after you've used the bathroom. If one of you forgets and Cameron plays in the toilet, I'm going to make YOU put YOUR hand in the toilet!

Well, Parker got this incredible look in his eyes, it was a cross between amusement and fear of crazy mom. He has been completely dedicated to shutting the bathroom door every single time!

Carson on the other hand....well, for a germophobe I thought he would be committed to the closing of the door but he's been incredibly spacey lately...his brain is on Christmas Break. He forgot all day yesterday! I was even feeling compassionate for him (I wouldn't want to put my hand in the toilet! Ewww!) so instead of punishing him, I kept reminding him. I think I reminded him about 10 times yesterday!

This morning before breakfast, Carson left the door open. I sternly reminded him. After breakfast Carson washed up and left the door open, again! Cameron ran in before I could turn around and was playing in the toilet1 Aghhhh! I have had it!

I found Carson and he slapped his forehead and said "Oh sorry! I forgot!". Too bad suckah! All I did was point to the bathroom and Carson sheepishly walked in and stood in front of the toilet. If he was a dog, his tail would have been between his legs! I opened the lid and just stood there. I'm KICKING myself for not recording this scene. It was so funny I almost couldn't contain my laughter. Carson stood there for a full minute hoping I would change my mind. I think he saw the look in my eyes and knew I wasn't changing my mind. I told him he had to reach all the way in and touch the bottom of the bowl. He moaned "ahhhh maaaaannnn!" and slowly lowered his hand into the bowl and touched bottom!

While he was washing his hands for a good 3 minutes I again reminded him that he must remember to shut the door! Guess what? He remembers now! He has since gone into the bathroom for one thing or another 3 more times this morning and every time he has remembered to shut the door! Success!!!!

Creative parenting, it can and SHOULD be fun!

10 comments:

Sam said...

Ga-nasty, but what ever works. You should also have him wash Cameron's hands.

My word verification is "nocribed" as in "no crib for his bed, the little Lord Jesus lay down his....". How fitting for the season!

The Airharts said...

YES!!!!! You are as crazy as I am! I totally did this to Hadley....I took Browen's soggy toilet hands and rubbed them all the way down her arms...the look on her face and the joy I found from finding a way to help her remember to shut the door. LOVE IT! It really works!

Nicole Marsh said...

Ha ha I love it!! You are an awesome mom.

fern said...

i should be banned from reading your blog at work-- i can not stop the tears from laughter!! i can totally see carsons face and the pleading in his eyes!! hahaha -i never would have thought to do this!!

-sam don't ask my kids the words to that song- i can never sing it right ... so they know a warped version!

Lindsey said...

Hilarious!!!

Ginger said...

We are having the same issue however Landon opens doors! Little rascals.

Toni said...

Genius!

Rose said...

AAHHHahahaha
Don't get a dog. They do the same thing.

Holly Strong said...

GENIUS!!! We have the same problem at our house...only, I think Ady and Matt would enjoy a little toilet play time too. hmmmm. I guess I will try it and blog it. Sounds fun to me!

Thomas said...

EEWWW!