Monday, December 07, 2009

Tis The Season...And Recipes

I'm feeling so good about my Christmas accomplishments this year! I am almost completely ready to just sit back and enjoy the season. It's a beautiful thing!

And guess what? It snowed a lot today. I loved it!
Guess what else? I bought a bag of Cutie Mandarin Oranges today. They are my first ones of the season...totally juicy and delicious! I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to Cuties. I can't get enough of them. While preggers with Cameron I think I ate about 10 Cuties a day for the entire month of December! Ahhhhhhhh, memories.....

Speaking of Cuties....
In church yesterday Parker says, in a pretty loud whisper, "MOM, I have to poop! Right now!"
Ummmm, okay.....Sam's up on the stand, and I'm holding down the fort (or pew, as it were) with 3 kiddos. I say to Carson "Please go with Parker and stay by the bathroom until he is done and then bring him back into the chapel." They leave.

They are gone for 15 minutes or so (it's a guy thing) and then just Parker walks back in. Again, in a not-so-quiet whisper, he says "I can't find Carson anywhere!". Oh goody.

I was sitting towards the front of the chapel so I mouthed the words to Sam, "I don't know where Carson is. Can you see him?" Sam scans the congregation and then subtly nods his head 'no'. I'm imagining all sorts of chaos in the hallways and that chaos begins with "Car" and ends in "son". So, I decide to go find him and let him really have it!

I walk into the hallway to find him sitting in the foyer, quietly reading The Friend magazine! When he saw me, he said "Hi Mom, I'm just waiting for Parker." FREEZE! I wanted to stop time and just remember this moment.

You have to remember, I'm the mother of 3 boys. It's a life full of chaos, potty talk, stitches, broken bones, goose eggs, and burps. I rarely get these quiet moments of reverence. I was so happy and relieved that he wasn't causing trouble. I was feeling pretty good until we walked back in the chapel and as I sat down, Parker declares "I just farted!" and all three boys giggled. Well, it was good while it lasted...

Hey guess what Carson got to do for Pack meeting the other day? Go ice skating! Carson could RUN with skates on, as long as he was on the rubber floor. Put him on the ice and he was pretty shaky. Poor buddy.




He fell pretty hard a few times. A guy in our ward said to him after one fall: Can I laugh yet or does it still hurt? I'm proud of him for even trying to skate after the first few falls. I would have sat down and stayed I think!




Sam took some pictures of the boys playing in a skiff of snow the other day. The only downside to playing in the snow: It takes 1/2 hour to get all the snow gear on, and then the kids only play for about 20 minutes. What's left for momma? Piles and piles of soggy, freezing cold, clothes! Crazy kids.




I've had a few people ask for recipes of some of the Christmas candy I make every year. In case you are interested, here we go:

Toffee:
2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 lb real butter
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz. milk chocolate, chopped
2 cups chopped almonds, toasted

Line cookie sheet with foil and sprinkle with 1 cup of the nuts. Combine sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla in medium size saucepan. Bring to boil, cook over medium heat, stirring constantly to 310 degrees (if it's below 310 and it starts smoking like it's about to burn, consider it done!). Poor over nuts, spreading evenly with a spoon. Sprinkle with chocolate. Wait 1 to 2 minutes. Spread chocolate. Sprinkle with remaining nuts. Press nuts into chocolate with back of a knife. Allow to harden. Break into pieces and store in airtight container.
**I have learned I can't make this on my stove because I have a smooth top stove and the toffee always burns. When I make it at my parents house, they have a gas stove and with the air circulating under the pan, it doesn't burn.

White Chocolate Popcorn, or Paradise Popcorn:
Sam's co-workers dubbed this stuff "Paradise Popcorn" I just call it So-Good-I-Want-To-Marry-It!

Popped popcorn (on the stove or air popped)
White Chocolate
Christmas M&M's
Dry Roasted Peanuts
Mini Marshmallows

Pop the popcorn (as much as you want).
Melt the white chocolate (as much as you want) and pour over popcorn, be sure to coat every single piece of popcorn.
Now throw in handfuls of M&M's, marshmallows, and peanuts. Stir to coat and combine.

While still warm, I fill up Christmas Cellophane bags and tie with a ribbon

Nougat:
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups White Corn Syrup
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 egg whites
1-2 cups peanuts
1 tsp vanilla
6 Tblsp butter, melted
2 tsp flour

Cook sugar, corn syrup, and salt to 235 degrees. While syrup is cooking, beat egg whites in a heavy duty mixer until stiff. With mixer still going, add about one-third of the hot syrup.
Continue beating and put the rest of the syrup back on the stove. Cook to 268 (if it goes to 270 that's okay). Add hot syrup slowly to egg mixture. Beat for a few minutes.
Pour half the melted butter and one teaspoon of flour onto candy and mix in. Add rest of butter and flour to candy and mix again. Add nuts and vanilla.
Pour into a WELL-BUTTERED 9X13 pan and cool. Cut and wrap in wax paper.

Sometimes my nougat turns out perfect. Sometimes it's too hard or soft....but no matter what, it always tastes so good, just like a Big Hunk candy bar!

My nougat recipe has two big splotches of vanilla on it. I did that while making nougat at Fern's one day. Fern looked at it and said "NOW it looks like real, tried and true recipe!" Isn't that the truth!?!

9 comments:

mindy said...

Thanks for a good laugh. I totally lost it when Parker said he farted. Hilarious!!!
Thanks for the treats last night. I ate all the toffee by myself, it was soooo delicious.


p.s. I also love the cuties. We are currently on bag #2.

Karen said...

Yay! More recipes! We are doing the cheap loving Christmas this year so am making lots of treats instead of presents. With these recipes and packaging from the dollar store I am all set. Thanks a bunch!

Natalie said...

I love the sacrament meeting visuals. Reading your blog makes me feel like I have some boys.

Thanks for the nougat recipe! I love that stuff. Especially when you sent it in the mail that one time. I ate it all by me self. I'm good at that.

Amy said...

We love cuties here. Your boys are so funny. It is so nice of you to share the recipes for the treats you make. Thanks for the treats, they are delicious!!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted more recipes...rest assured i'll be trying the toffee and popcorn soon...thanks! Oh and the nougat is my families favorite thing ever!!!

Amy b.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you posted more recipes...rest assured i'll be trying the toffee and popcorn soon...thanks! Oh and the nougat is my families favorite thing ever!!!

Amy b.

Thomas said...

Yay! I am so excited to have that nougat recipe. Thanks!

B/T Frank said...

hahaha that's as good as our Sunday Carrie! I couldn't figure out who stunk during sacrament and none of the kids would claim the smell so I figured it was someone else. 10 Minutes later Mason jumped up and said I have to poo and took off running out. 35 MINUTES later he came back! In the mean time Hunter grabbed his back and said it hurt and he needed water. I told him he would have to wait we only had 5 minutes left. He grabbed his back again and said I need to poo. So I sent him to the bathroom and told him to bring Mason back with him. Right as sacrament was getting over Mason walked in, No Hunter though. I walked to the bathroom and he was standing in the hall with his pants down and said mom "it's runny you need to wipe!" I died! I was laughing so hard and some old lady asked if I ever controlled my kids as more people started to walk up and I said "No, where's the fun in doing that?" and walked out! Good thing we miss the next 2 weeks in our ward!