Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fall Clean Up

First of all, it's good to be back in the blogging world. I've had a weird few weeks... Nothing really noteworthy, or maybe it was, but I was too worn out to write it down. I had a cold a few weeks ago and it just seems to be taking forever to come out of the funk. I'm starting to feel much better now, thank goodness!

One noteworthy event from a few weeks ago: We had "The Talk" with Carson.

Remember this post?

That was on June 20th. I still remember how hard I was laughing at Carson's definition of sex. I love how my friend Cathy commented "I can't wait until Carson finds out YOU'RE a gangsta!". Well, he now knows that his mom and dad ARE gangsta's, poor buddy!

He came home from school laughing about a joke that a girl told him. I asked him to tell me the joke and he suddenly gets sheepish and says "it's inappropriate.". I played the "cool mom" card and casually said "that's okay, just tell me."

Well, he tells me the joke. After the first 10 seconds I had to busy myself with folding laundry because it's so disgusting and completely inappropriate! I'm sure my face was bright red. At the end of the joke I asked him if he knew what it all meant and he said "no, but I know it's not okay to tell this joke anymore." I agreed and sent him on his way. When Sam came home from work I said "tonight we are talking to Carson and that's that.".

Sam was a good sport and that night he and I sat down with Carson and spilled the beans about being a so called "gangsta". He was totally embarrassed and said "Oh, I didn't know THAT". I kept laughing on the inside because when the heck did I get so old that I have a child that needs to know this stuff anyway! The next day Carson said "I really wish we didn't have to have that talk because I can't get it out of my head now!!"

Growing up is hard.

You know what else is hard? Balancing on a window sill without anybody holding you up. Cameron is a pro at it!


So the past few days have been incredibly windy. The wind was bringing in a storm that is going to last the next four days. I told Sam that we better rake the leaves before the storm hits. So we braved the freezing cold wind and worked in the yard today. Good times!

Parker's favorite job is stomping the leaves down in the garbage can....then resting while the rest of us do the dirty work. Punk kid.



Why is Carson smiling?


OH. That's why.


Just as we were finishing cleaning out the flower beds, the rain came pouring down. It was great timing! We came inside and had hot chocolate and just chilled (or rather, I should say we "warmed"). I seriously love stormy weather!

Cameron vegged out on the carpet with his favorite blanket.


Then I said "get your fingers out of your mouth dude!". He said "whatever, I can put my whole hand in my mouth!"


Then I told him to smile and he gave me the cheesiest pose ever.


Not long after that he fell down the stairs and got a nice shiner under his eye. However, he got happy in a hurry because I pay my kids a quarter for every goose egg. At the rate he's going he'll have enough money for his first car when he's about 6 1/2.


The rain storm from earlier turned into a fantastic snow storm this evening. Sam went outside and took some pictures of it:



I like the long exposures because as cars drove by you just see head lights or brake lights in a long streak.





I'm pretty excited about Thanksgiving next week. I love to hang out with my family and make tons of good Thanksgiving dishes. Since I do Thanksgiving every other year with my family, here is my blog post from Thanksgiving 2008. Remember all those cooking/baking mishaps? Here's to a drama free Thanksgiving!

Finally, remember this fun tradition? My plan is to throw our pumpkins off the roof again this year. I think we will try to do this on Friday afternoon, the 26th. Anyone is welcome to join us! If you have any pumpkins leftover from Halloween or Thanksgiving decorations, please bring them! This is also Black Friday so I expect lots of success stories of all your awesome deals you scored on at insane hours of the morning!

Speaking of deals, I've already scored some good deals on food this past week. at Smith's grocery store, I spent $25 and received a 20 pound turkey for $3. What in the what? That made me proud to be an American.

Then I went to Winco last night at 11:30pm because I hate the crowds there, and was so happy they were giving bacon, eggs, orange juice, english muffins, and cereal away for FREE! No strings attached, just plain ol' free! Sure you have to bag your own groceries, but I can justify that when the food is just given away!

I've rambled long enough. Good night!

8 comments:

cathy said...

"I really wish we didn't have to have that talk because I can't get it out of my head now!!"

Nice! I think that's pretty much the case for boys until they turn 75. Tell him to get used to it.
p.s. love the snowstorm. It's like daylight outside!

Sam said...

Carrie forgot to mention the joke was a common one that we both heard (and probably retold) when we were Carson's age. There's just no way I would have repeated it to anyone that I thought would get it back to my family. Kudos to Carson for feeling okay enough to tell us!

Fern said...

Fab update! Love the pictures of the boys- can I have them?? The boys not the pictures!! I have 3 pumpkins to donate to the cause!!

The Airharts said...

Oh carrie, good to have ya back-I miss all your hilllllarious stories! And I too like the light streaks-makes me want a nice camera(well alot of things do-but that is cool). I think we might have to join you in the pumpkin throwing this year from across the country-it just sound so fun to miss out! I also love stormy weather-rain that makes you want to stay inside for days-snow covered streets...it's the inbetween the storms that bother me-cold and wind for no darn reason. Anyway-post away, post away!

Carl and Pat said...

Ahhhh...Carrie's blog is updated again. Good job on "the talk." I'm not sure we did a very good job on that part of parenting. Oh well--too late now! Great get-together today. Looking forward to a crazy week! (Mom C)

Natalie said...

Jealous of the snow.

What was the joke? Now I'm curious.

Sorry you had to have the talk. But better you than the playground! Good job playing the "cool" mom.

ps- speaking of "the talk," my word veri is "hypses." Sounds like some sort of std.

Carrie said...

Nat, Sam said the joke Carson told us sounds like one you would have told him when you were youngsters! :) ha ha!

DJ and Gin Family said...

Glad you survived the talk. I never learned about being a gangsta in one sitting. It was with little stories and tid bits from perverted friends, until I pieced it all together. Then the Health class was the icing on the cake. Poor kids with responsible parents. That must really mess with their minds.
Tell your boys that those garbage cans make great hot tubs in the summer. We used to fill ours up with water and let it sit in the sun to heat up. Sam may remember that. Also, I have a 65ish lb. pumpkin to donate to the cause...