Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas...

Monday was a very domestic (maybe a "I love Lucy" type of domestic)and busy day. I was hosting a Family Home Evening group at my house with 8 adults and 9 children. I decided to make a pumpkin cheesecake roll. I've never made these before, but I've tasted them and have been a big fan of them. So that was the first adventure.
Can I just say, I hate powdered sugar? No matter how careful I try to be, I make such a mess of it! Just one example: I had a dish towel full of the powdered sugar because that is how you roll up the pumpkin roll. I decided to go outside and shake off the mess. I walked outside, opened up the towel, and it was a disaster. The wind was blowing so it blew the sugar in my face, hair, and clothes, and then right into my kitchen because I left the sliding glass door open! Arghhhh! I hope my neighbors who live behind me weren't watching because it was pretty embarassing.
Anywho, I wanted to get glamour shots of my beautiful pumpkin roll, but forgot, so here is a picture of the leftovers.


After making the pumkin roll, I cleaned up my kitchen and went on to domestic project #2: Toffee.
My ward's Enrichment meeting is on Wednesday and the theme is "Holidays into Holy Days". For dessert, we are having a tasters table of everybody's favorite holiday treats. So, I made toffee because it's REAL good.
I had one trauma here: As I was pouring the friggin' hot toffee into the pan, a bunch of buttery steam hit my face and put a nice buttery coating on my contacts! Seriously, it was like I put vaseline on my eyes! And people wonder why I don't enjoy cooking...


So, after making the toffee, I cleaned my contacts, and then my kitchen and went on to domestic project #3: Nougat.
I can't very well bring my favorite holiday treat to enrichment without including nougat! We have made this every year at Christmastime for as long as I can remember. Plus, I wanted to try out a new candy wrapping method I learned from my friend. I think it makes the nougat look so cute! I put them all in a big tupperware container and it looks like a huge flower blossom! Precious.



Anyone hungry for some sweet treats??

10 comments:

Curtis and Shandy said...

You are the new Pat Clark, how cute are you? I bet Sam loves the new domesticated Carrie. Way to go Carrie, sorry to hear about all the trauma on the side.

nalani said...

Move over Martha ....here comes Carrie!!! Did you happen to save some of those treats for me?

Anonymous said...

all of us at the dentist office need you to come in before you go to enrichment mtg tonight.... and bring a little toffee with you!! i love the theme for tonight also- i should really do something like that in my calling!

Anonymous said...

how was your rs night??

Carrie said...

It was great. Fern, I'm going to give you a copy of the presentation that we didn last night and maybe you could do this next year with your enrichment. It was very good! I wish I brought my camera to take a picture of our "tasters table". It was soooo good!!

Anonymous said...

carrie rocks!!! everyone in the dentist office loved the goodies! even the patients loved that we had sweets out- well... they thought it ironic..... but we loved it!!!

Delene said...

Carrie, as long as your sharing your RS ideas....send them my way. I talked to Charlene Lara last weekend. She said you are a very good RS Pres.! I would love your toffee recipt, also.

Jess said...

yeah.. go carrie.. i wish i could be as cool as you when i'm a wife... wish me luck with that...

Thomas said...

save some for me too, think it will all be gone by next august

Tracie said...

I would like to know your trick for wrapping the nougat. Maybe you could show Susan when they come down for T-giving, and she can show me.