Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cinnabon!

Have you ever had a cinnamon roll from Cinnabon? If not, you are missing out! I'm not even a huge cinnamon roll fan, but cinnabon's are INCREDIBLE!

In my ward in Seattle, there was a family who really liked cinnabon's but they could't afford to buy them whenever they wanted. The dad used to take his kids to the local Cinnabon and ask the employees if his kids could LICK the parchment paper the cinnamon rolls were baked on!!! I'm not kidding. Mom, Dad, back me up here! I'm laughing right now just thinking about it!

Anyway, today I had a hankering for a cinnamon roll. I flipped through a few recipe books and internet sites looking for an interesting cinnamon roll recipe. Then I remembered that my mom had emailed me a 478 page recipe book awhile back that has recipes from different restaurants in it. I looked, and sure enough, there was a recipe for Cinnabon cinnamon rolls.

I'll admit, several times in the process of making these cinnamon rolls, I was completely overwhelmed...especially when I had rolled out a huge rectangle of dough that took over my whole counter! I kept laughing and saying to myself "I'm in over my head...just walk away!" I persisted though, and the results did not disappoint! I'm not even kidding, these cinnamon rolls tasted EXACTLY like Cinnabon's! So, roll up your sleeves, be prepared to be a little overwhelmed, and have at it! Oh, and make sure you know who you can share these with because it makes about 20 huge rolls!

Cinnabon Rolls



Rolls:
1/2 cup warm water
2 packages yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
3.4 ounce package vanilla pudding
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
6+ cups flour

Filling:
1 cup soft butter
2 cups brown sugar
4 tsp. cinnamon

Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon milk

In a bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar. Stir until dissolved. Set aside.

In large bowl, take pudding mix and prepare according to package directions. Add butter, eggs, and salt to pudding. Mix well. Add yeast mixture. Mix well.

Have 5 1/2 cups flour in mixer, fitted with dough hook. Add pudding mix to flour to combine. Knead until smooth. I had to add about 1 1/2 cups more flour until the dough held together and cleaned sides of bowl while mixing.

Place dough in a greased bowl. Spray top of dough with non-stick spray and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Rise until double.
Punch down dough and let rise again.

Roll out dough on floured surface to a 34" X 21" rectangle.
Take 1 cup softened butter and spread out over dough.
In bowl, mix 2 cups brown sugar and 4 tsp. cinnamon. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over butter.

On the long side of the rectangle, roll up very tightly and pinch the edges closed.

With a serrated knife, cut the roll every two inches.

Place on parchment lined cookie sheet, 2 inches apart.
With your hand, lightly press down on each roll.
Cover and rise until double.
Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Remove when they start to turn golden. DO NOT OVERBAKE.

Mix all frosting ingredients and blend until smooth.
Frost warm rolls with cream cheese frosting.

Bon Apetite!

Laura and Tom, thanks for letting us hang out in your new house tonight! I hope you enjoyed the goodies!

20 comments:

Karen said...

Oooh, I can smell them clear up here in Washington. I absolutely love Cinnabon. Your Aunt Barb was here recently and we treated ourselves to the minis. Wish you lived close enough to run some over to me.

Anonymous said...

Darise, you totally have to try these!!! Thanks Carrie, Bishopric meeting was so much sweeter tonight :)

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

that's so funny-Sam emailed us Hansen's today trying to get my mom's cinnamon roll recipe. Which, it's kind of a secret, but then again, she doesn't even use a recipe, she just uses her hands and feels everything. Weird. I'm glad you found a recipe to your liking-YUM!

Tonje said...

Those look so yummy! I'll have to make them, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Miss you lots and lots.

PrincessKatie said...

I am oh so jealous. wish I would have been by your house today! your too fun!

Holly Strong said...

Way to go Carrie. Davis sure liked them. It was the first thing he mentioned when I asked him about Bishopric meeting. LOL And I have NEVER had a cinnabon (sigh) I think they only sell them at the airport and I rarely go there. LOL

Anonymous said...

i am seriosly drooling!!! don't you want to come visit me at work this morning???

Ambyr said...

They look awesome, I'll have to try them because we love cinnamon rolls at our house!! I'm going to try a new roll recipe so don't be surprised it I bring some over to you!

McKee's Madness said...

Hey don't forget who you visit and teach here.... Haha. Man those look sooo good. I LOVE Cinnamon rolls and try and make them all the time but they never end up right. I am totally going to try this recipe. Thanks:)

Carl and Pat said...

I'm backing up Carrie's claim about the family in Seattle, but he didn't take his kids with him to Cinnabon--he would go ask them for all the parchment paper they used under the rolls as they baked and were frosted. Then he took all the papers home to his kids to lick! Man, daughter, you are becoming so domesticated that I think you passed me up long ago! (Pat)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if Sam's ever told you (if he even remembers this), but I enjoy flying solely because I know I get to eat at Cinnabon in the airport. There are no more Cinnabon's around here, so I'm forced to fly places in order to get me one. I'll tell you this, I won't even blink twice at spending $1,000 on a plane ticket if it means I can eat a cinnabon. They're my FAVORITE!!! I figure though if you were overwhelmed with the recipe there's no hope for me. I struggle in the kitchen...seriously. I'm not sure I could handle this.

The Airharts said...

Hmmmm, will have to remember to check back for the recipe when I want to make cinnamon rolls again. I have been making the ones off cathy's blog and they are super fantastic too, I'm allways up for new cooking adventures.

The Airharts said...

PS-quit trying to make us jealous that you guys get to hang out with the hildebrands-its not nice.J/K(kindof)

Sweet Girl said...

lol you're too funny Carrie! Next time you want a cinnabon really fast without going to the work of making them give me a holla and I'll run in the airport and grab some!

Nicole Marsh said...

Those look and sound so good! It makes me want to go and make them right now. Thanks for sharing the reciepe.

Mom / Jolene said...

they were SO, SO good! thank you tons for bringing them over! we ate them for breakfast the next day and they were awesome.

don't be strangers. stop by anytime!

laura said...

oh, sorry...mom/jolene is me...i'm at my mom's, obviously

Anonymous said...

I've never tried a Cinnabon- I too am in love with Cathy's recipe. However, I may just have to try these, so thanks for including the recipe on your blog!
Michelle

Thomas said...

Oh, I've got to try making these....better yet....could you just mail me some. -Maile

Jill said...

Well everyone else might want the recipe, I just want the rolls. They are truly my most favorite thing in the world. can't wait to see you on Saturday for a long overdue visit!