Friday, December 12, 2008

Wicked Crazy

I have the BEST husband in the whole world!!!!

Can you guess why? Can you?

I'll tell you why! He is the best husband because....drum roll please....
He did NOT get Wicked tickets, but he stood in line for 6 hours, in the FREEZING cold, and walked away empty handed and was not one bit bitter about the whole saga. He literally was within 100 people when the ticket officials told him all that remained were Sunday tickets and he walked away. His motto in life is "it just shakes up the day" and he moves on. Today was one of those days. He did all of it, because he loves me.

I'm now going to "turn the time over to Sam" (I feel like I'm in church when I say that) so he can share his side of the experience with you.

Something Wicked This Way Didn't Come

First of all...big shout out to Harvey, Chris, Chris' wife, and their crew for being my line buddies for 6 hours. What can I say except that I found out I can stand for six hours on a sidewalk in 30-40 degree weather without feeling much of an effect? I was mighty impressed that there weren't any butt-ers (I admit I thought about it). Harvey is V.P. of sales for Les Olsen Company, which is one of our vendors, and we knew some of the same people in his office. Chris is a bishop somewhere and runs multiple call centers in the valley. They were hilarious and helped the time fly by for me. For six hours we laughed about how this probably won't be worth all the time we were spending and all the stuff we woulda', coulda', shoulda', done (i.e., bringing hot chocolate/food to sell, etc.). The line moved pretty good for the first three hours but as we got closer to the entrance it almost ground to a halt. We loved the rumors that were flying around the line about how many tickets were left and how many people we were away (people kept counting out of boredom). Our fears were realized when we were literally two Scooby-Doo Mystery Machine lengths from the door (that equals approx. 100 people and 45 minutes of standing). Some official-looking guy with a badge came out and said there were a few single tickets but everything else left was for Sunday. By this time it was 11:30. I thought I should buy them anyway and sell them on eBay for thrice the price. Carrie and I decided we didn't want to be stuck with tickets...so my work there was done. People couldn't believe I was going to walk away when I was so close to the door. Chris, the bishop, stayed. His wife was making fun of him...asking what he was going to with tickets. "We'd like to excuse the bishop today...he's, uhm...." stuff like that. It made me feel good when people shouted, "Sam, don't leave now!". Chris patted me on the back as I walked passed him. I told them thank you and it was great to meet them. Harvey said, "I feel like I should give you a hug!" I laughed and told them good luck. Would I do that again? Probably not, but there's not a lot I wouldn't do for Carrie. I'm sure we'll get around to seeing it one day.

9 comments:

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

urn Oh Carrie-you have the best husband! That Sam is a stand up guy! I couldn't stand in line with strangers for that long. I just couldn't bring myself to talk to strangers!! Good job. And Happy Freaking Birthday Carrie.

Love you guys!

The Airharts said...

Wow Sam!!! Thats a nice guy!, I am just amazed at what control you have to not go to the sunday show-I know I would have with out even thinking about it-theres a space in heaven for you guys..maybe not for me(haha)

Holly Strong said...

*clap clap clap* I'm so glad to hear the story Sam. When Davis told me you didn't get tickets I sad, "Ah, poor Carrie." Davis gave me a funny look and said, "Poor CARRIE, what about Poor SAM!" hahahaha I'm glad you are totally amazing and did that for your wifey. If it makes you feel better Davis would've walked away from Sunday tickets too. I hope Carrie has a great birthday and you had a back up present. LOL just kidding

Rose said...

How ironic to go see a show called "Wicked" on the Sabbath!

The only thing I would stand that long in line for is to see Jesus.

You are very "Sweet" to make that sacrifice for Carrie and thanks for being a good example and skipping the Sunday show!

Happy Birthday Carrie!

Amy B. said...

Awwwww Shucks!

Susan said...

Sam, you're a good guy! Better luck next time.

Marisa (rhymes with Teresa) said...

You guys are awesome and we love you. I wonder what my husband would do for me? I'll let you know after Christmas I guess. He's up to something sneaky. Happy Birthday, Carrie. See you on Saturday!

Toni said...

tough luck, but Happy B-day anyway, I hope that he had a good back up present :)

Anonymous said...

you could have pretended you were on vacation in another country and gone to the show on sunday.... it is a show about love and friendship, doing the right thing........ oh ya, that thing you said about justification applies here!! :-) you could be a 'wicked' good girl!!