Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Done! Now What??

Today we went to see Cameron's helmet doctor. I knew he would either say "he's done" or he would say "see you in six weeks".

I was expecting him to say "6 more weeks", but he took off Cameron's helmet and said "he's done". I was so happy, but it was pretty low-key....The doctor, nurse, and orthotist were all standing there and they kept saying "he's done". It finally occurred to me, they were waiting for me to leave the room! I quickly stood up, not knowing how to end this 'relationship'. Shake hands? Slap on the back? Curtsy?

Instead I awkwardly walked past them and said "Gosh, I feel like there should be a parade or something!" At least the nurse laughed....

By now Cameron knows something is going on and he's scratching his head furiously...18 1/2 weeks in a helmet seems to make your head a little sensitive! I asked the doctor if there was something I could do for Cameron's head so it wasn't so sensitive. He said "Bleh, by tomorrow he'll have forgotten he ever had a helmet!"

Let's hope that's true because he cried himself to sleep pretty good tonight. Poor buddy, lost his security 'blanket' on his noggin.

Here is Cameron's last picture I took of him wearing a helmet. It was taken last Sunday. Now...if we could just get his clogged tear duct taken care of and don't EVEN get me started on his acne...


Now the big question: What should I do with the helmet now?





Sam said it would make a nice strainer or a candy bowl...I would love to hear your creative ideas! What would you do with the helmet if you were in my situation? Seriously!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

finally!! i have been waiting for your post so i could go to bed... not that i'll sleep but i'll try! it would make a great strainer-- pot a plant in it, it could be an invisible house for jimmy nutron, or whatever action figures the kids play with- ninja turtles?? how about a new tub toy- maybe cameron would like to roll it around on the floor- he may even start to crawl after it if he pushes it to far away from him.... maybe not. you could hold it close to your face and just take a deep breath- i am sure it smells great!! thats all my ideas for now....

Natalie said...

Yeah! Wow, that was an ordeal for you guys. Probably more so for him! I'm with Fern. Roll it around so he'll crawl after it. He sounds like my developmentally slow children. Love that dimple in his chin. Abby has one just like it! She IS promised to him, you know.

cathy said...

Well, first thing is wash that thing! (I know, you probably have, 6 times.) Uses for the helmet?
-Used plastic bag dispenser (mount on pantry wall)
-Run over it with your van (Napolean Dynamite style)
-Fill it with rocks, cover the opening with duct tape and use it as a weapon
-Candy dish for Sam's desk
-Tie a rope to it and use it as a tetherball
-Mount it on dashboard and put your cellphone in it.

PrincessKatie said...

you have to keep that helmet for him when he is older. Too bad you have no girls. I woudl have told ydou to let your girls use it on their babies! YEah fo rCameron and no more helmet

Toni said...

Hooray and huzzah! I am so happy for your little man (and you of course) Although he sure did make that helmet look good I would just throw it out man, maybe recycle it although I am not sure what kind of plastic it is. Maybe send it to the DI and see what people think that it is for, you may see some child riding around on a bike with it on his head someday. Congrats

Mary Ann said...

I AM IN YOUR SITUATUION.....and I have no clue. Brooklyn's helmet is still in our living room collecting dust. I don't want to just throw it away because I spent so much money on the stupid thing, but on the other hand if I keep it I would have to store it or something. It's a retarded thing that I half wish they would have confiscated when she was done with it!

Anonymous said...

You might want to look into donating the helmet to a community health program. The helmets are really expensive and a lot of insurance companies don't pay for them. You might look into donating it to another child!

Amy B. said...

Can you make ice cream in it? You know, like those balls they sell at stores...a nice hanging pot for a nice "fern"...a portable potty...ohhhh the possibilities...

Eden said...

I'm going to knit that boy a "security cap" to help get over helmet withdrawal.

That's great news, though!

Anonymous said...

We could turn it into a mini commemorative Superbowl helmet and auction it off.

Anonymous said...

coin jar

Anonymous said...

crawdad trap

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

Have you tried Cetaphil face wash and lotion for Cameron? I started using it per my mother-in-laws advice when Addie went through baby acne. It cleared it right up and we still use it to this day.