Wednesday, February 03, 2010

I'm Gonna Make You A Mix Tape!

Did you ever make a mix tape for somebody when you were younger? I totally remember having a blank tape in my ghetto blaster, my finger would be poised on the 'record' button while listening to the radio. As soon as I heard a gnarly song I would slam down the 'record' button and add to my forever growing collection of mix tapes. The coolest songs in those days were "We Are the World", "Like A Virgin", "Born in the USA", "Careless Whisper", "Can't Fight This Feeling", "Everybody Wants To Rule The World", "Axel F"....and there are oodles more but you get the idea.

When I went to college, my roommate had a guy friend (who I think had a crush on her) and he made her a mix tape that he called "Cool Meridith's Really Cool Tape Of Cool Music". It was the best mix tape I've ever heard! I made myself a copy. :)

Fast forward 17 years (Yes, I am that old...quit doing that math!) to last Saturday. Sam and I were doing an early spring cleaning in our house and I found that mix tape from college! I tossed it to Sam and said "Hey, for Valentines Day you should convert these songs into an itunes playlist for me.".

Because these kind of projects make Sam giddy, he was up for the challenge! Unfortunately, I had lost the tape cover that lists all the songs and the artist. You should see my husband's detective work in figuring out all the songs! I am seriously so excited! When all is said and done, I'll put the playlist on my blog and you will completely understand why this is the best mix tape ever! Well, hopefully you will.....unless you like country or butt rock...then this is NOT the mix for you! Just back away slowly. Never look back.

Have I mentioned lately that Sam is the gnarliest dude ever!?!

9 comments:

Becky said...

He IS gnarley and rad too!

Both our boys can play Axel Foley on the piano.

Here's a great song intro...

"A little ditty 'bout Jack and Diane. Two American kids doin' the best they can..."

Lindsey said...

That is exactly Sam's type of project!!

Sam said...

Where is this word "gnarly" coming from? I don't think it should be used unless you're doing skateboard and BMX bike tricks. "Rad" just shouldn't be used any more (unless you're abbreviating 'radiology'). That mix kept me up way too late, hopefully Carrie will post her list soon. They're not exactly the songs I would put on a mix tape but they're songs you can't help enjoying when they're on.


conses

(oh yea, I decided I'm going to put my word verifications on comments from now on)

laura said...

i think thomas made me a mix tape back in the day.

good times! can't wait to see your list!

Toni said...

My friend and I were just discussing "mix" tapes that we had from old boyfriends. So exciting, I can't wait to hear it. Oh, and I copied you and did craisins and White choc chips. So yummy.

fern said...

ha ha - i am def. in the wrong generation-! cool idea for a valentine gift-- with a pedicure attatched!

Ambyr said...

Sam's great!

Natalie said...

What a great gift! I have some great memories of some great mix tapes. That's a big project!

Rose said...

At least it wasn't from your old boyfriend!

sevab