Sunday, September 19, 2010

Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires

About 4:30pm today a fire started by Camp Williams near Herriman UT. Apparently a fire started in a machine gun training range on some property in Herriman that Camp Williams owns. I heard the anchorman on our local news refer to this fire as the "Machine Gun Fire"....kind of weird. Anyway, the smoke is so thick! I live several miles north of the fire so we aren't in the evacuation range but we are dealing with the smoke issues. I feel so bad for the people in Herriman, over 1200 homes have been evacuated. Several homes have burned. The wind has been kicking up pretty hard all day, which certainly doesn't help things. Here's praying that the wind stops, the fire is controlled, and people can escape without injury!

Here is a picture I saw on KSL.com, this is the Oquirrh Mountain Temple, which is the temple I attend every week! So crazy!!

5 comments:

laura said...

yeah my mom had to be evacuated! craziness!

i feel awful for the people that have lost their homes...

Nicole Marsh said...

That is an awesome picture. I hope they get the fire out soon.

Natalie said...

That's crazy!! Ryan and Camie were evaculated. How's that for some Sunday night excitement? I bet some people were pretty excited to get out of home teaching assignments, firesides, etc. I would have been!

DJ and Gin Family said...

DJ's sister had the fire burn right up to just behind their house. The 2 cabins behind them were burned. Scary! It really made me think about how fast I could get my essentials. I think I need to revisit our placement of important things. Good FHE idea.

Jenette said...

Actually that temple picture is a picture of the Timp. Temple in American Fork. The one I was married in!! That is what was happening on the opposite side of the hill. Rachel and Casey Hansen who used to live in our ward, were evacuated. They had just barely purchased a house in The Cove area. I haven't heard from them yet on if their house made it or not. A great lesson on why 72 hour kits are important!! :-)