Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wednesday Rambling

Today is a good day to just ramble, don't you think? September 15th is the middle of the month, and Wednesday is the middle of the week. Yep, good time to ramble.

The last few days I have walked with my kids up to school instead of just waving "good bye" from the driveway. It's been interesting because as soon as we hit the school grounds, Parker says "Bye Mom!" and leaves me in a hurry. Carson, on the other hand, begs me to walk with him to his classroom and doesn't want me to leave until he goes into his room when school starts. It's funny because Parker is younger than Carson! Carson is in 4th grade and he still thinks "mom is cool!". Parker is in 1st grade and he avoids me like the plague. I was telling Sam about it and he said "I'm so glad our kids are really different!" That's a positive way to look at it! So badly I wanted to run up to Parker while he was waiting in line and give him a big smooch on his cheek! But I refrained. Not sure how long I can refrain however....

While I was at school this morning, I said good-bye to Carson as he walked into class. As I was leaving, I heard his teacher say "Mrs. Sweet?". I turned around as he was walking towards me. He said "Let's have a little conversation about Carson...". Ahhhh, this is familiar territory for me! In fact, I had to laugh on the inside because I was wondering when this talk was going to occur! Every year towards the beginning of the year I have this awkward conversation with Carson's new teacher.

"Carson is really smart, and he's a really good kid....BUTT.....well, he talks a lot! He's very social....." At least he didn't say "he is a day dreamer and I don't know what to do with him" like last year's teacher said. In fact, I was super impressed with this guy. He wasn't complaining to me, he was prepping me for future complaints Carson might have about his teacher. He said "If Carson ever comes home from school and he's frustrated about his strict teacher, just know that I'm trying to help him!". I was on cloud 9! This guy wasn't going to throw his hands in the air, he's going to help him! I assured the teacher that we have strict rules at my house regarding finishing school work and doing homework and that we are not lazy parents. I then told him he has my full support on however he could help me teach Carson! It was awesome.

As I was leaving school I ran into a good friend, who knows my history of talking to Carson's teachers. I said to her "Well, I just had my annual teacher talk!" She laughed with me and life goes on. Can't wait to see if I have annual talks with Parker's teachers...I'm still trying to see what kind of a student Parker will be. He's more the silent type. You know what they say about silents types....silent but deadly. OH wait, not sure that's what I think it is....

Another school related rambling:
There is a bus stop by my house. I can't remember if it's jr high or high school, but every morning a bunch of teenagers line up by my front yard. Guess what these punks do? They leave all sorts of trash in my flower bed! Yesterday I found a pop tart wrapper stuffed into my Mums and then I found a rotten banana peel hanging on my dahlia! What do I do about this? It's never ending, it's been happening since I've lived here. Should I buy a small garbage can and conspicuously place it amongst the mums? I don't want to make a huge deal of it because guilty/ticked off teens equals toilet papered houses!

Guess what this week and next week brings? Fall TV schedules! Yay. I'm excited to watch the ol' regular shows as well as a few new ones. Running Wilde looks like it has potential. Time will tell! Are there other shows I should be checking out? What are you going to TIVO/DVR over the next few weeks?

My final ramble: What are ways you try to save money or cut expenses in your household? I rec'd a power bill a few months back that was astronomical. So now my A/C temp never goes below 77 degrees. My power bill last month was $30 lower due to increasing the temp by a few degrees. I felt empowered! What are your tricks of the trade? Do you plan menus around the weekly sale items at the grocery store? Do you keep using that same razor until it cuts your legs up? Inquiring minds need to know! I feel like we don't have too many luxuries, but I want to tighten the financial belt a little more.

That's all I got, for now....

11 comments:

Ellison's said...

I hope that if I ever get the "teacher talk" it will be a good outcome!! To save money this summer on our power bill I always set thermostat at 78 maybe 79. Everyone that I tell someone that they think I'm crazy but I wasn't going to pay what I have paid in the past. We installed two fans in our family room in the spring, which has helped a lot!! We have saved money with doing that!!

Lindsey said...

We keep the thermostat around 78 for the bulk of the day and ceiling fans run nearly 24/7 during July & August.
I love a new season of television. I am a true Hansen in my love for TV. I think the show that I am most looking forward to is Modern Family (next week..EEEE!).

Natalie said...

How to save money: stop eating, driving and paying taxes. That will save some dough.

Holly Strong said...

YAY for Carson's teacher!! I still laugh about the post-it note. I am just happy I can actually have a conversation with this teacher, last year she just looked at me like I was from outer space and she didn't know more than yes or no, even when I tried to get more out of her and believe me I tried. As for saving money...I hate that electric bill. Not to make you feel worse but mine went down about $50 and we really didn't do much different...punk R.M.Power. As for tv shows, you make me wish we had dvr or satelite...this is my fav time of year to sit in front of a show with my hubby. Guess I will just have to be happy watching it later on Netflixs...sigh.

Ambyr said...

I totally plan meals as to what's on sale and then price match the crap out of my grocery list! I added up what I saved last year and it was about $750.00!!! Seriously! I never change the thermostate either cause it totally screws your electrical bill. And if your Nathan you only water the lawn until your bill reaches a certain amount then you don't water anymore so you only spend as much as your willing to spend. You can always let your lawn grow a little longer and it actually takes less water!

cathy said...

That's infuriating about the teenage trash. Short of hanging out with them in the morning in your bathrobe, I would seriously put a garbage can out there. Rude!
Energy saving tip? Don't have a pool.

Carl and Pat said...

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE at have the thermostat set at 78; however, the other half of this establishment doesn't see it that way, so I bundle up to watch TV, put the heating pad on my feet, and all seems to work. That is, until the stunner of power bill arrives..... (Guess which half I am.)

DJ and Gin Family said...

Stop having kids. That will save you. Both mentally and financially. We went down to one car too, but you guys are a step ahead of us there.
Ginny is turning out to be my kid who gets the teacher talks. We've already had a couple in about a month. Oh well, I like Sam's perspective on things. Atleast Tay just operates on auto pilot. That allows for more time to deal with the other one.

Mary Ann said...

Try the Trash can and see if it works. As for saving money I (before the new addition) planned out a monthly menu and then shop accordingly for the non-perishables and then buy the perishables as they are needed once a week. I also make a list try not to buy anything that isn't on it and REALLY TRY not to have "extras" at the store. Even the one that can't talk! Oh and I use Savvy shopper and a crap ton of coupons. (Once at Smiths I saved like over half of the original total! I did a happy dance in the parking lot)

Lizzie Fizzie said...

i love how sam and your marriage works. the positivity over how happy you are you have different kids just spoke volumes to me! . . haha i love the rambles. You should paint a yard sign, as if it was a cute garden decor that says some rhyme about trash, teenagers, and the bus stop. and put a trash can by it. That'd be hilarious. I'd respect that. . . i like carson's teacher too! You should send him a thanks note for his supportive way of helping carson. I know i've had endless teachers and leaders that taught me in ways my parents couldn't, as good as my parents were to me.

Alison said...

I really think you need to add Amazing Race to your list of shows. Our whole family loves it. A new thing I did this week to save some money and still have fun is to buy some gift certificates on Citydeals. They have many things for half price. And so it takes the guilt out of eating out. Bryson has always and still will give me a kiss when he leaves to go somewhere, but other kids quit when they realized it wasn’t cool. It is nice to have one kid who isn’t afraid to show affection.