Friday, May 09, 2008

Dirty Date Night

Get your mind out of the gutter!

So, every spring I get ancy about my flower beds. I feel like there is a VERY small window of opportunity to get all my flower beds cleaned out, new dirt/manure added, and flowers planted. It's lots of pressure I put on myself and I'm not sure why I do it. I think it's a good thing because I have a few crazy weeks and then I get to enjoy the fruits of my labor. For Sam, this means he gets to get on the crazy train with me and I'm so thankful he does!

A few nights ago we borrowed our friend's truck (thanks Ryan!!!) and bought 50, yes 50, bags of composted steer manure. Sam got to load all 50 into the truck, unload all 50 onto the side of our house, and the next day move all 50 around the yard and cut open the bags and pour all 50 into various flower beds. Crazy as it sounds, we still need about 20 more bags to finish filling up all the flower beds.

Here is a nice action shot of Sam throwing one of the 50 bags onto the side of our house.


My parents were so awesome because they helped us disperse the dirt and clean out the flower beds. Here is a nice picture that shows how much work we did. Check out my dad in the background...slacker! :)


If you see me wearing this green polo and ripped jeans, you know I mean business in the yard! It's my official "I-hope-my-thumb-is-green" gear!


Just chillin'


Sam is still smiling, even after hauling that dirt around and having my dad harass him. What a good sport!!


At least my kids are old enough to lend a helping hand in the clean up efforts. They complained until I told them they needed to be "very useful engines" and help me, Sir Topham Hat, clean up the yard. If you or your kids don't watch Thomas and Friends that last sentence will be useless...sorry....


Now that's real purdy:


Stay tuned for the next step....planting of the summer flowers. Can you feel my excitement? Can you feel the back pains I'll probably have tomorrow night? Good times.

4 comments:

Jess said...

so, when we buy our house would you guys want to come up and help us with our planting and such? can't wait to have MY flower garden and MY house!

The Buckley's said...

Wow! Good job! I can't wait until I have a yard to work in. Yours always looks so good.

Ginger said...

Wow you have some really nice parents to come help you out. I have never seen your yard before, you will have to post some pics of it when it is all done.

laura said...

it's posts like this that make me LOVE that i have HOA people to do all that!

it looks great, though! your yard always looks good