Monday, May 12, 2008

More Mother's Day & Cameron Update

I wanted to put more Mother's Day pictures on my blog last night but I was too wiped out...

I wanted to give a "shout out" to my Mom. She is the best Mom I could ever hope for. The older I get the more I appreciate her. Not only is she a great mom, she is a very impressive Grandma. She never acts frustrated when my kids want to play games with her. She happily stops whatever she is doing and takes the time to make memories with my kids...even when she is exhausted! Thanks Mom, I love you!

Here she is yesterday afternoon with Parker.


I'm also lucky enough to have a wonderful Mother-in-law. She joined us for dinner yesterday, which was the perfect blend of good food and good company!

I never noticed how much she and Sam looked alike until I saw this picture.


Here's a handsome shot of two of my guys...Thanks Sam for a great Mother's Day! You've come a long way since giving me a DVD of "stepmom" as my Mother's Day present when I was pregnant with Carson...and we didn't own a DVD player at the time! :)


Here is a Cameron update:

Today we had Cameron's 2 month doctor appointment. He weighs 12 lbs 2 oz now. He's doing great lately because he's been sleeping through the night for the past week. That's always an excellent milestone to reach! I just hope it lasts!

Unfortunately, he really favors the right side of his head when he sleeps so his head is kind of crazy right now. Looking straight at him you wouldn't notice, but if you look down on the top of his head like the noonday sun, you can see what's going on. I've never heard of this before, but my doctor described baby's heads like a box. If you put pressure on one corner of a box, the whole thing shifts one way or another. So, Cameron's forehead on the right side is bulging out more than the left. Also, his right ear is closer to the front of his face than the left ear. Completely bizarre-o. So, for the next 2 months, we have to wedge a blanket under the right side of his head so he sleeps on the left side of his head.

If the head doesn't reshape itself at his 4 month appointment he may need one of two things: a helmet, or a CAT scan to determine if it's his bone structure that is wacked. If his bone structure is the problem, then he'll need surgery on his skull later in life to fix. I don't think it's anything major, I just think I need to be diligent on keeping him off the right side of his head. It's weird because I remember Carson getting a flat spot on his head but it didn't mess with his forehead or ears. If anybody has heard about this before, feel free to share your experience with me because it's the first I've heard of it.

Oh yeah, Cameron has a confirmed clogged tear duct in his left eye. The doctor said to just massage it several times a day and it should work it's way out. If not, he'll need to have it surgically fixed when he's one year old.

He got his first round of vaccines today. One he drank, which was new for us, and three shots. He was a trooper!


Here's hoping he's a trooper through the night as well!

11 comments:

laura said...

poor little guy! i've never heard of such a thing! that's awesome that he's sleeping through the night, though!

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

My niece had tourtocolis (not sure on the spelling), where her muscles were really tight on one side of her neck so she got a flat head on one side because that was the side she was always on. She just did exercises with her and would feed her in the opposite arm to get her to look the other way, etc.

When Kate was a baby she got a clogged tear duct and a crazy lady in my mom's ward (a mid-wife) told Nat to squirt breast milk onto the clogged duct; it's a natural antibiotic and it cleared it right up. Since you're not breast feeding, maybe you can bribe someone who is so whip it out and squirt cameron in the eye! HAHA!

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of sam and cameron!! moms are the best- kudos to grandma clark and grandma sweet!!

Holly Strong said...

I love those chunky thighs!!! He is so cute! As for the tearduct....told ya! LOL I do want to see you ask someone for breast milk.....LOL there are plenty of Mom's in the ward. hehehehe! As for his head...I hope it fixes and he doesn't have to wear a helmet OR need surgery! But I'm sure he'll look adorable either way, he's sooooo cute!! Gotta love that hair.

The Buckley's said...

Braxton had the clogged tear duct too. It eventually just went away but it was pretty bad before. He used to have goobers in his eye all the time. I hope everything with camerons head turns out okay!

Natalie said...

I've got the solution for the flat head! Kate had the same problemo. Her noggen grew so fast, and she was so calm, that her head got scary big and scary flat on the back, favoring one side. The doctor said she might have to have a helmet made (that would have been funny!) but he told me to try this (and it worked): She was sleeping next to me in her baby crib. She would always turn her head towards me. So, I just switched her head to the other end of the crib, and she put pressure on the opposite side. So, the flat part became evenly flat on the back, which wasn't nearly as bad as lop-sided look. As she got stronger and moved more, she didn't lay on her head so much, so we avoided the helmet.

Oh, tell Sam he's like Neal. Neal has come a LONG WAY TOO! He didn't get me a DVD for mothers day, but on my first birthay as a married lady, he took me to the nickel-cade. Impressive!

DJ and Gin Family said...

Nat's idea does work... most babies look the direction that they normally see you come from, so you just turn them "upside down" in their crib, then back again. Ginny had a scare with craniosynostosis (something like that), it's where the sutures in the skull close up too early, causing the brain to bulge the opposite way. They have to reconstruct the skull. It scared me to death!!! Luckily, her problem was too much fluid on the brain, which she grew out of by 2.
Luckily the neurosurgeons at Primary's are really good... especially Dr. Walker. Hopefully, it will just fix itself though.
He sure is a doll!

Ginger said...

Yes, I have heard of babies needing a helmet before. One of my friend's had a baby that needed one for the same reason and he is perfectly fine now and the helmet was no biggie.

As for clogged tear duct, massaging it works so good. Easton had that and it went away fast with the massaging.

Good luck, I am sure your baby will be just fine.

Darren and Dianne said...

Hey Carrie, my little girl Katelyn has a helmet. She got a flat spot on the right side of her head also. Her forehead was a little off too. She just got the helmet like 3 weeks ago and it has already made a difference. They are not too bad. If we go somewhere people just kinda stare but that's okay :) If you do get one, make sure you get your insurance to approve it first. Good luck! This is Dianne Wilberg by the way ;)

Anonymous said...

I can not get enough of the picture of sam and cameron-- i look at it about 10 times a day and it always makes me smile!!! --just thought you would want to know that.... hahahaha

Toni said...

No need to worry, both my boys favored one side over the other and the blanket wedge always worked fine and they both have beautifully rounded symetrical heads. Since they only look one way, it is good for their neck too to force them the other way so their muscles are evenly strong. Will had a blocked duct and I dealt with the booger eyes for a year and when he was one, he had to have it probed, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Good Luck!