Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thanks Cameron, My Vocab Is Getting Larger!

We went to Primary Childrens Hospital this morning and met with a doctor who specializes in young children's head deformities, their causes, and their treatments.

I must say, he talked so dang fast that he would put both Nalani and I to SHAME...and that's if we combined our speed, slang, and attitude! It was awesome!

Here's the diagnostic outcome:
Cameron has two issues...1-he has torticollis. 2-he has plagiocephaly because of the torticollis.

What does this mean?

Basically, the doctor thinks Cameron's head was kind of kinked to one side in the womb. Because of this, one side of his neck has a shorter muscle than the other side of his neck. I always could tell that Cameron turned to the right more than left, but if I say his name from his left side, he didn't seem to have a problem looking left...

I felt really bad when the doctor forcibly turned his neck from left to right because Cameron SCREAMED bloody murder and I could see the little tendons bulging up from his neck due to the strain.

So, because of the torticollis, he always sleeps in a certain position, even if we prop him otherwise, and that has caused the bizarre shift in his head, which is the plagiocephaly.

For the next 6 weeks we need to get him into a physical therapist who will work on his neck to lengthen the muscles and even them out. Once that problem is resolved, then Cameron will get a helmet. The longest he'll need a helmet is 3-4 months. The helmet will correct the shape of his head and realign his ears and get rid of the bulge on the right side of his forehead.

I specifically asked the doctor if everything will be totally normal at the end of this potential 5 month period and he said I will not be able to tell that he ever had a problem once we are through.

So to that, I say "IT'S ALL GOOD!"

10 comments:

Ginger said...

I have heard of that tortell thing. (I don't know how to spell it). Aren't you glad that someone has discovered a way to fix the problem? My friend had a little boy that had that and he is just a cute, perfectly fine 4 year old now.

Holly Strong said...

YAY Sam and Carrie. This is wonderful news. The nice thing about the physical therapy is hopefully the helmet comes closer to winter. How cute and stylin will this little man be! It's good to hear all is well and it will end well.

Natalie said...

Good job on those big, new words Carrie! Good news for Cameron, and even better that he will never have a memory of it. Fun for Carson and Parker though. Hopefully they go easy on him and don't make him re-live his helmet episode for the rest of his life.

Sarah said...

I am so glad to hear that everything will 'eventualy' be alright.
I think you should let his brothers 'decorate' his helmet.
Of course, you'll still have to take his helmet off for a few pictures just so I can make sure that his hair still sticks up like its supposed to..

Sarah said...

I am so glad to hear that everything will 'eventualy' be alright.
I think you should let his brothers 'decorate' his helmet.
Of course, you'll still have to take his helmet off for a few pictures just so I can make sure that his hair still sticks up like its supposed to..

Sarah said...

I am so glad to hear that everything will 'eventualy' be alright.
I think you should let his brothers 'decorate' his helmet.
Of course, you'll still have to take his helmet off for a few pictures just so I can make sure that his hair still sticks up like its supposed to..

Sarah said...

Oh my heck....sorry

Anonymous said...

I love torticollis with alfredo sauce and garlic bread.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I know you're a good writer. Maybe you could write a children's book dealing with this issue and call it "The torticollis and the hair" and sell it to doctor's offices as a reference.

DJ and Gin Family said...

I'm glad that everything will be okay for your little guy!
Laurel's niece had that neck thing as well. Are you doing therapy through the Jordan School district? If not, you might want to look into it... they come to your house every week which is so nice. When Tay had therapy we had to drive to Primary's every week, but by the time Ginny was in therapy we lived in WJ so they came to our house. It saved me a ton on gas. Also, Jordan charges according to income so we only had to pay $30 a month, and it included all of their services (Kindermusic, and preschool) for the WHOLE family. I know that Sam would love taking a Kindermusic class.