Tuesday, July 22, 2008

When This House Is A Rockin'...


So we had a ridiculous storm come blazing through West Jordan today. I took a ton of video so here's a sample. Sorry about the retarded commentary...I realize that while I'm taking a video I can't logically talk at the same time. Sorta like chewing gum and walking. Anyway, it was a normal sunny day when I heard some distant thunder. I looked outside and saw these crazy gray clouds heading my way. Within about 5 minutes it started to rain huge drops and then the heavens opened and down came rain and hail for about 1/2 hour. I swear we got about 3 inches of rain in that time period. Truth be told, I loved every second of it! Unfortunately my kids were playing at a neighbor's house at the time so I didn't have anybody to enjoy it with. I kept calling Sam at work and bugging him until I think he was ready to find a friend for me. :) Other items "in the news" We bought Cameron a bumbo chair and he loves it! I wish I would have had one of these for my other kids. It's so nice for Cameron to sit in it and play with toys. Plus, I'm trying to keep him off his head so this is extremely handy. So handsome! On Monday we had a dinner at the park with the bishopric and their families. It was really fun. Sam put together a FHE lesson about Pioneers. He talked about what a pioneer was and had the kids sing a pioneer song. Then, he had filled a huge container full of random odds and ends. All the kids had to separate it into 2 piles: one pile was stuff the Pioneers probably brought with them across the plains (food, shelter, clothing, blankets, pans, tools, rope, scriptures, journal...) and the other pile was for stuff they wouldn't bring (hair dryer, Ipod, robotic dinosaur...). It was a hoot watching the kids figure it out. Sam always comes up with entertaining lessons, I love it! This morning my friend Natalie cut my boys' hair. All three kids were looking somewhat shaggy in the hair department. Before: After (smart alecks!): And just for fun, here's a few more shots of that crazy storm today! Tomorrow morning we have Cameron's doctor appointment that should determine how to treat his shifty head. Stay tuned for that....

8 comments:

Carl and Pat said...

We're jealous--we didn't get a drop of that rain at our house, and we're only 3 miles away! Great photos, however. Good job, Sam on the FHE, whatever did the pioneers do without their hair dryers?!!

Toni said...

This storm was so crazy right? I was trying to take a nap and couldn't even sleep because it was so loud. great pics and footage.

Anonymous said...

that was awesome!! i can't believe that sam didn't believe you when you told him it was raining!! that will show him.... i love the pict of cam in his new chair- the boys are all adorable!!

Maria said...

I love those kind of storms! It rolled through Boise as well, only moments after I got home from taking the girls to swimming lessons...on my bike. Phewwww... That would have been bad.

DJ and Gin Family said...

That's crazy! We aren't TOO far, and we got a drizzle for a minute or two.
I love Cameron in his new seat... those things are the best!! It's funny when their legs get too chubby for them , and it sticks on them when you try to lift them out. I'll have to send my Bumbo up to Nat for Abby to use.
Cute haircuts too.

Sarah said...

We didn't get nearly the rain you did, but we did have some crazy thunder, lightning and rain for about half an hour...just long enough to cause them to cancel both my boys' soccer games. I was thrilled!
Keep us posted on Cameron's 'shifty' head..I'll admit that I read that too fast and had to go back and re-read that it said "shifty' and not...well..you can imagine.

Marisa said...

Nice job on the FHE, Sam. Not every dad can do that! Glad you guys weren't flooded out. Happy
24th!

Natalie said...

When we lived at the end of Fontella's street, summer storms like that would flood the entire corner where the two streets came together. I have vivid memories of Laurel and Ginger floating in as rubber dingy with a sign that said, "splash me!"