Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Torti-Therapy

Cameron had his first Physical Therapy session this afternoon for his torticollis. It was a great experience! The therapist took her time and made sure we understood all the exercises before sending us on our merry way. We go back 4 more times which takes us into September. After we're done with the PT then he'll get a helmet.

Basically Cameron needs to stretch his muscles in his neck that help him look to the left. Like this:


He also needs to stretch his muscles that make his head "cock" to the right. Imagine looking straight ahead...now move your right ear towards your right shoulder while still looking straight ahead.

Cameron's neck muscles don't allow those two motions very well. We have to do exercises to lengthen and strengthen those muscles 2 times per day, 3 reps each time, holding the position for 30 seconds with each rep. Piece of cake! Sam and I worked with Cameron tonight before bedtime and he didn't fuss at all with the stretches. What a good little patient!

Here's another fun picture. I think he's saying "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like me!":


His head was measured from his flat spot to the bulge on the right side of his forehead. It measured 11mm. "normal" heads are 4mm and under. So his helmet was confirmed with that measurement.

By the way, I asked the therapist what her take was on the Bumbo chairs....she said they are great for babies until they are 6 months old. After 6 months you shouldn't use them because babies should start trying to sit up on their own. Also, the Bumbo chairs curve your back and sitting on your own teaches you to have a straight back. So there you have it, professional advice...free to you all! Go ahead and use those Bumbo's until your kiddos are 6 months old!

Having said that, I have a Bumbo chair and Cameron will only be using it for 1 1/2 more months. If anyone would like to borrow it, just let me know!

Now for a Parker story:
A few days ago Parker came up to me and said "Hey mom, girls don't have "pee pee's" do they?" I said "no". So Parker said "Well, do they just go to the bathroom out of their bum?" I said "kind of...." and I quickly changed the subject just because I'm like that. Well, Parker was over at my friend's house today. He walked up to my friend and said "Jene', girls only poop because they don't have pee pee's".
Isn't that just like Parker to put two-and-two together like that?? He figured that since girls don't have all the same parts, then they must only be able to go #2! Gotta love that kid!

7 comments:

Casey and Diana said...

Oh my gosh I've been dreading the day that Preston asks me about "different parts" etc. I know he's only 5 months but I don't want that day to come!

Carl and Pat said...

That Cameron--what a little trooper. Okay, Carrie, I'm trying to understand this...you will post a more-than-life-sized photo of my incredible rock find, tease me about being shy and proper, but can't talk to Parker about body parts--hmmmmmmm! (Pat C.)

Anonymous said...

I am with your mom!! looks like you better teach the boys 'correct principles' cuz they are going to be teaching the rest of the neighborhood all about the parts 'down under!' hahaha -glad my days are OVER!!!

Natalie said...

Your mom has a good point! Go Cameron! Luckily he doesn't scream during his exercises. Parker cracks me up!

laura said...

i'll have to get cameron an awesome decal sticker to go on his helmet (maybe i can find one of "the cure" sam...)

oh parker...what a hoot! miss doesn't even call her lady business a "pee-pee" she thinks it's part of her bum! i'll just let her go on thinking that for as long as i can!

Unknown said...

Oh, how I LOVE to read your blog! I am laughing my head off after readig your last few posts! I have a few things to say:
1. I'm glad that you teach your kids to call it "pee-pee" too - that's what I teach Zach & Danny to say, & Jarom doesn't like it - he beleives in teaching them the correct terminology. lol
2. I'm sorry to hear about Cameron's torticollis - poor little guy! I'm glad that you'll be able to treat it farely quickly.
3. I'm glad that you enjoyed your 24th of July! I absolutely love Cameron's shirt! Where did you get that?
4. As for the rock.....yeah, you should display it in your living room when the home teachers come over for sure! ha, ha! I've gotta show that to Jarom when he gets home tonight!

nalani said...

I'm still laughing about the self-talk in the mirror---i'm sure that's totaly what he's thinking!!!! Too cute and good info on the bumbo chair----I've recently found that it's awesome to sit Cash in when I feed him because he's sitting up and it wipes off so easily so i'll be sad when I can't use it anymore.