Monday, December 04, 2006

FHE At The Clark's

Tonight my parents invited us over for Family Home Evening to set up their nativity. When I was a young'un we used to do the same thing. All the regular christmas decorations would go up after Thanksgiving, but the nativity would wait until family night. My parents have a ceramic nativity set that they made early on in their marriage. Each piece is wrapped in old newspaper and is packed away in an old box. As a child, we each would take turns picking up a piece out of the box, unwrapping it, and setting it on the piano. Whoever unwrapped baby Jesus was so lucky!!

Carson really got into it tonight. One of the first pieces he unwrapped was Jesus and he was so excited! I was so glad we were able to carry on this tradition tonight because I constantly struggle with teaching my children the true meaning of Christmas and activities like this really leave strong impressions.



My mom also read the story of Christ's birth to us, via a childrens book. It was great and the kids loved every second of it!


My parents have a train that chugs around the base of their Christmas tree so of course, my kids were attracted to that like Sam is to football, er, I mean, to me! Here's a frame-able photo of my dad with my boys.


And last but not least, I found some tape and had fun with Parker. Does anyone have a tissue?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love that tradition! my kids have never gotten into putting the nativity out with me- and that is my favorite thing- which is probably why i have sooo many! i love the bckside picture- you should take it in and make a poster or puzzle out of it!

nalani said...

I remember that nativity set from when I was a little girl living in Idaho. What a fun FHE!! I love that picture of your dad with the boys---too cute!

Sarah said...

What a neat way to tell the Christmas story and make it so special.
You really left me wondering, though, what did you all have for your FHE treat? You are usually so good about sharing your food online..ha ha...

Anonymous said...

Rootbeer floats. We can't do anything together without including treats. That's why I have the best in-laws ever.

Indiana Clark's said...

I also loved hearing about that tradition! Michael didn't tell me about that one! What a great thing to share with Grandma & Grandpa Clark!