Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Cameron's PT...Grrrrrr

So.......as a parent, it's REALLY hard when somebody talks negatively about your child. In the almost 8 years since I've been a mom, the only time my "bear claws" come out is when my child is picked on or made to feel stupid.

I think I've handled all of Cameron's head/neck issues pretty well, until today. I've had a crappy day today. The crazy thing about it, is that nothing huge happened but I think it's a combination of the past 3 months finally hitting me.

Cameron had another Physical Therapy appointment today. He hasn't made much progress from the last appointment and the therapist was sure to tell me about it. She was doing her job, and she is a great therapist, I was just being sensitive and girly-hormonal about it (again, I am NOT pregnant!). She pretty much shook her head when I told her Cameron still isn't rolling over. That's when I got super frustrated. What does she expect of me? How am I supposed to MAKE him roll over? Last week Cameron rolled from his stomach to his back about 4 times, over his left shoulder, all in one day. I was all excited to tell her about it, but he hasn't really rolled for almost a week now, and so the therapist wasn't as excited as I was. I guess the problem with the muscles in his neck makes it really hard for him to roll...but in my defense....I AM DOING ALL THAT I CAN TO FIX THE PROBLEM. I'm faithful at the exercises, I am constantly placing Cameron so he HAS to look left to see anything interesting. I even make him turn left to eat. Bleh. I stayed positive while I was at his appointment, but when I walked out the door I felt pretty dejected.

I was talking to my nephew's wife last Sunday. Their little boy had a helmet and he is done with it now and his head looks great. I was asking her what it was like while he had the helmet. She said "get ready for lots of questions from strangers!" Hmmmm, not so sure I'm ready for that. She said a few people actually walked up to her in a store or wherever and exclamied "What Happened???!" Seriously, my bear claws may come out.... I know helmets are common now, but I think I'm sensitive because I don't want people thinking I'm a negligent mother who lets her child lay on his head all day and that's why it's flat. If anything, I've been more careful with Cameron's head than my other two children combined! I'm super freaky about it and that's why I get a bit defensive.

Okay, sorry about venting. I've had a day.

After I got home I decided I needed a walk to get rid of my steam. As luck would have it I ran into my neighbor up the street who has a great sense of humor and understanding about situations like this. She said she was really worried about her 7 year old son who still can't cut paper very well. She was complaining to her friend who said "Oh brother, he's not going to be 30 and still not cutting paper!" and that made her feel better because it put the situation into perspective. So, I'm grateful I took that walk because my friend helped me put the situation into perspective...Cameron isn't going to be 30 and still having problems with rolling over and flat spots on his head!

I'll try not to become mama bear when people ask questions about Cameron's head, but to all my blogger friends, just be supportive, okay?

Other news.

Cameron is eating baby food fast and furious now and he loves it. He gobbles up rice cereal and then I mix other veggies into it and so far he seems to be okay with that. Today I went crazy and mixed carrots and green beans into the rice cereal. He ate it, I gagged when I smelled it.


He cracks me up!




Nothing like a little formula to chase down a freaky blend of baby food...

14 comments:

Holly Strong said...

I can't believe he is eating food!! He's getting too big too fast. He's still the cutest thing EVER!!! I'm sorry today was so rotten, I can't wait for this to be over for you and Cameron. I'm excited to see him in his cute helmet, but I also understand your concerns and worries. At least he is the cutest kid EVER, if you ever need help "playing" with him, call me! Tanner would love to play with Carson and Ady always begs to go see Parker. :)

Anonymous said...

meh! your friend is right on it- by the time cam is 30 he will be able to roll over and probably even do a summersault!! you can always call me and vent- heaven knows i have chewed your ear off a few hundred times!!- i love you and your great sense of humor and outlook on life! you should let parker feed cam for you... hahaha hee hee : D i crack myself up!

Sarah said...

Oh Carrie...if I were closer I'd give you a hug! I hate those kind of days. I've been there and I know the frustration of feeling like you're being told that your best is not good enough. But it is good enough.
I am sure you'll think of some witty comebacks to all the questions- just have 'em ready!

Carl and Pat said...

I swear medical personnel ofttimes have no clue as to their patients and parents'feeling on things. I wish there were more "bedside manners" courses in medical training. That being said, you are the most diligent mom I know at doing what needs to be done. I've been so impressed with what you've done with Cameron. We are going to make this helmet thing fun! And heaven help anyone who makes ignorant jhelmet remarks within my hearing range (and I'll be wearing my hearing aids!!). You are doing a marvelous job with all your boys. Love ya...

Mary Ann said...

Carrie, I totally understand about the helmet thing. Brooklyn has an appointment on Sept 10th for hers. She has Proportional Plagocephaly (SP?). I already have issues with people asking me about her head I can't wait till it is more noticable with a helmet. Just be glad that it wasn't your first child like it is mine. I really felt like a failure for a while. Just think of it this way. you may not have a little girl to put pretty bows in her hair but think of all the cool stickers you can put on the helmet. (skull and Cross bones, dinos....) How many other little boys get to prepare for football this young in life? P.S. I am Susan's little sister!

Mary Ann said...

By the way could you post some of those witty coments so I can have some for when Brooklyn has hers on?

THE BANGARTS said...

When he was a baby, my husband skipped crawling and went straight to walking at 9 months. EVERYONE kept telling my mother-in-law that he would have serious developmental problems if he didn't take on each of the "milestones" that babies are supposed to take on at the time PEOPLE think they should. Uhhh...he's a doctor now. I hear if you skip rolling over, then what you have on your hands is a ROCKET SCIENTIST!!!

My friends little boy had to have a helmet, so they totally pimped it out! It had lighening bolts, and other crap on it. It was cute. So IF he needs one, just get ready for some BIG PIMPIN'!

Eden said...

I think if random people ask questions about the helmet, you should tell them (in a totally serious voice): "Well, he kept falling out of the back of the pick-up truck every time we took him anywhere, so the state is requiring us to keep this helmet on him now. I'm really hoping this thing keeps him safe, cause one more concussion and Child Protective Services will place him in foster care and I really can't afford to loose the food stamps he brings in. I mean, when they took our other children, we had to start buying store brand Cheetos. STORE BRAND! Now THAT'S a tragedy!"

Seriously, though--people can be so stupid. That includes your physical therapist. Just hang in there!

laura said...

i'm sorry about the crappy p.t. i hate those kind of days. let me know if there's anything i can do to help!

Carrie said...

Oh my hell Eden! THANKS for the laugh!!! what else you got?

Anonymous said...

Laura, desserts are always welcome.

Anonymous said...

Eden wins it all!!!

Natalie said...

Thanks for the post. I really needed that one today. It helps to think that when Abby is 30, she still won't be waking me up at night to nurse. I hope not anyway. After my major melt-down today, Kate hid on her bed and said she was afraid of me. I told them I was going crazy for reals. And I'm with Eden. . . make up some crazy story. Oh, and put bull horns on the helmet. Or devil horns. That would be great.

Eden said...

I wish I could take 100% credit for my comment, but actually, it's sort of ripped off from my brother.

People always ask him and his wife when theu are going to start having kids, and now his standard answer is (and he does this straight, no smile, no joking tone): "Oh, actually, we have three kids already. The state took them away a few months ago, but we're really hopeful that we can get them back soon."

It's HILARIOUS to see people's reaction. They don't know what to say--and sometimes he doesn't tell them it's a joke! He says it serves nosy people right.