Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Lady of Shalot

Ingrid, my friend, puts poetry on her blog from time to time. It's not the type of poetry that I can easily understand. It's deep, meaningful, and takes time to digest. In other words, NOT my cup of tea. My life is too crazy to be able to ponder the meaning of poetry. I have to use my pondering time to figure out how to remove blood from Sam's pants (remember the hole in his finger?) or I need to know the best way to multi-task feeding Cameron, getting Parker to quit crying, and work from home 8 hours a day. Then there's that whole "no child left behind" task of reading with Carson every day for 20 minutes...I could go on and on....but I should stop because I'm starting to sound somewhat negative in my last few posts.

Anyway, back to poetry. I remember in one of my college English classes we had to read a poem called "The Lady of Shalot" and then discuss what we thought it meant in front of the class. I half-heartedly read it, not allowing my brain to digest anything. Suddenly my professor calls out my name FIRST and makes me stand up in front of the class. What could I do but improvise??!!??

I stood up, looked everybody square in the eye and said "The Lady of Shalot....I like her....a lot." and sat down. Everybody laughed, at me, not with me. I think I got a bad grade, and to this day I still have a hard time appreciating poetry.

7 comments:

Amy said...

Hydrogen peroxide gets blood out of clothes.

I have never been one for poetry. I don't have the time to figure out what they are trying to say.

Susan said...

I have to agree on the poetry thing. There are one or two poems I like but not really my thing.

cathy said...

red stars on a map
we gaze through your virtual glass
at blood and chuckles

Natalie said...

I remember the Lady of Shalot story. Neal and I still say that little saying every once in a while. I'm with you on the poetry. I like it if it's plain and easy to understand. The tough stuff makes me feel like a poser that should be wearing an ascot and smoking a pipe.

Carrie said...

this is how retarded I am. I had to ask Cathy what her comment meant. She informed me that her comment was an actual Haiku (sp?) and it's talking about my blog. red stars on map...got it
gaze through your virtual glass...I get it
blood and chuckles? I didn't get it. Cathy says it's about my accident prone family and my laughter regarding their accidents. NOW I get it!! :)

By the way, I only know what a haiku is because of Wayne's World.

Sorry if I let anybody down with my lack of cultural expertise.

Sam said...

Since we're chatting about poetry, I'll use this opportunity to plug one of my favorite poets...

Floating here
Like this with you
Underneath the stars
Aligned
For 13 billion years
The view
It's beautiful
And ours alone tonight
Underneath the stars

Spinning round
And round with you
Watching shadows
Melt the light
So shining
From our eyes
A tear
Another space is ours
Alone tonight
Watch as shadows melt

-Robert Smith

(new cd out in October!!!)

Toni said...

I love it! I am not so deep either, my brain just doesn't wanna work that way. oh and my sis just showed me the coolest trick to get blood out of clothes. Hydrogen peroxide! I don't know if you r aware of this neat trick, but I will never stress about blood stains again!