Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Sugar Cookie Fun

Carson is off track. He could seriously watch TV all day if I let him. So, instead, I made some sugar cookies (dough came from the store, I'm not THAT Betty Crocker!) and let Carson and Parker loose with all sorts of frosting and candy to decorate the cookies with.

As they were letting their creative juices flow, I thought it would be a good time for me to practice some of my amateur photography skills. We had dinner with our friends, the Patterson's, the other night. While there, Ryan was showing me some features on our fancy camera. I realize that having all the settings on "auto" is ridiculous with our big camera. If "auto" is all I want, then I should just go back to using our little point and shoot camera. Since I refuse to take steps backwards, I'm going to play with all these new features available to me.

I have no idea what they all reallly mean...ISO, F-stop, White Balance, TV, AV, P...but I changed the settings and took lots of pictures, changed more settings, took more pictures.....

Here's the funny part. I don't know what the settings actually were for these pictures, but enjoy anyway. However, not a single picture had the flash on...all natural light! Next step....remembering settings so I can re-create the result in the future.

As I told Ryan...baby steps!

Parker just likes the frosting. Don't worry, he didn't double-dip. I think we went through 12 knives during this activity.


Not the best picture, but I love Carson's cookies! Half white, half chocolate. Clever.


Probably my favorite picture. Those eyes! Let's not leave out the mark on his forehead. It's either chocolate frosting, or a scab from the last time he fell or ran into the wall.


I was busy changing settings on my camera when I heard Parker say "Hey, I made a traffic light!" Clever. However, the chocolate frosting is gross looking because I just changed Cameron's diaper and the resemblance here is uncanny.


Overall, fun activity for the kids, and fun for me as well. Except for the clean up part, that is.


I made a special cookie for Sam...red pepper flakes!


I thought I was so funny. I was laughing the whole time I was sprinkling them on. But then Sam ate it! Not sure if he liked it or if he was going for shock-value, but it made me laugh my guts out.


The above picture was courtesy of Ryan Patterson. Funny shot!

4 comments:

fern said...

those were great pictures!-- i could tell when you used the f2. ap- see, i learned something from my class!! I should have let russ by the that camera that was like yours, it would have been so much simpler!! I love parkers eyes- just like sams! good job carrie!

Jess said...

those look soooo good! i love cookies, and could totally go for some right now.. homemade, though, because other cookies just aren't as good..

Natalie said...

Carson thinks it doesn't matter if your black or white. Ebony and ivory go together in perfect harmony. Side by side on a piano keyboard. . .

What's with the skittles on the sugar cookies?

Susan said...

Eating a sugar cookie with pepper flakes on it seems like a very Sam thing to do. Cookie making sounds like a good spring break activity.