Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Successful Bread Making



Yesterday Fern gave me a ball of bread dough she made so I could go home and bake it. Well, I didn't have time to bake it last night so I put it in the fridge. Today I thought calzones sounded good for lunch so I used her bread dough to make calzones and some rolls. They turned out great!
Last Thursday I went to an Enrichment Activity for our ward where the instructor taught us the basics of bread making. We learned about yeast, gluton, kneading your dough, and so on and so forth. We were given homework at the end of this class: we had to go home and try making bread from scratch before our next bread class on the 27th.
Well, after using up Fern's dough I was on a roll (punny!). I logged onto AllRecipes.Com and found a bread recipe that looked good. I mixed it in the Kitchen Aid mixer until it sort of held together, and then I kneaded the dough with flour for about 9 minutes. I'll bet pioneers had great muscles in their arms from making bread. It was so fun because I felt like I understood it much better after attending the bread class. The dough rose like it was supposed to and baked quite nicely!
Tonight we had some with our dinner and I thought it tasted really good! A big thanks to Cathy Gilmore, who was the bread class instructor! I can't wait for our class on the 27th because we get to learn about yeast sweet breads, like cinnamon rolls! Speaking of rolls, I think I'll go have one of those I made from Fern's bread...

7 comments:

nalani said...

I'm seriously bummed because I was going to ask you if I could go to that next class with you---I'm obsessed with trying to learn to make good bread----but I am babysitting our friends kids that week so will you take good notes and we can have a "private bread making lesson" later?!

Anonymous said...

You see, her mother TRIED to teach her those things, but... It really did taste good. Carrie brought some over to have with our dinner last night, and it was yummy! We're looking forward to the cinnamon rolls.

Sarah said...

No offense, but I think I liked you better when you were a loser Mormon woman who ouldn't make bread. We just had more in common....

Carrie said...

Trust me, 2 loaves of bread does not make me your typical mormon woman! I know, I'll let you have your scrapbooking if you let me have my bread. :)

Sarah said...

Sounds like a deal, Carrie! But if you start sewing all your childrens' clothes we may have to renegotiate. Plus you're an awesome gardener. So you've already got one up on me there. I love your all your plants and the obvious joy you take in them! And I think Carson must have inherited the same gift for photography that your brother has!

Carrie said...

Trust me, it would take a true miracle or SERIOUS hard times before I could attempt to sew my kids clothing! I've gotten my boys shirts at Old Navy for $.88 cents before! You really can't sew a shirt for that.

Anonymous said...

after all the bread I have shared I think that I get first dips on the cinnaman rolls! I should have thought to make calzones- we have a serious 'whats for dinner problem at our house!!