Thursday, August 03, 2006

David Brett Petersen 1975-2006

Last night when we got home from work Sam received a phone call from Tim Petersen, who is the brother of Sam's best friend, Brett. Tim called to let Sam know Brett had decided to take his own life on Monday, July 31, 2006.

Sam and Brett have been friends since Brett moved here from California in 1993. Brett was Sam's Best Man at our wedding in 1998.

Today the family held a graveside service. Let me tell you, I wish I had a case of tissues for this event. I have never been to such a sad service. Brett's parents were so gracious and thankful for those who came, but you could see by the looks on their faces that their hearts were just breaking. Sadly, Brett's not the only child they have had to bury. On August 12, 1993, Brett's older sister, Nicole, died in a car accident. She was 18 years old. The graveside service was held next to Nicole's headstone. Brett's body was cremated and it looks like they were going to bury him by Nicole.

Here are some pictures of Brett when he and Sam were young'uns.

Brett, Sam, and Greg Bower (Greg makes up #3 of Sam's trio of friends)This was at our wedding reception


Brett, Sam, and Greg at the airport (Sam was heading to England on his mission)


Brett, Sam, Curtis (my brother), and Carl (my dad) at the Bountiful Temple on my wedding day.


Sam and Brett during the High School years


Brett juggling. Sam and Brett were in the juggling club in High School. In fact, I think they were the only two in the club! One of them was President and the other was Vice President.



Here are some pictures from today's graveside service.

Debbi (Brett's ex-wife) and Zach (Brett's 8-year old son)


This is one of Brett's co-workers


Sam with some of Greg Bower's family: Scott, Sophia, Sam, Rachael, and Dave


Greg's mom (Sophia) and Brett's mom (Sherrie)


This picture, makes me sob every time I see it. Here is Sam kneeling down by Brett. Nicole's headstone is in the background.

10 comments:

Curtis and Shandy said...

Dang, I am so sorry you guys. I remember him pretty well, with your wedding and I helped him move. He was a funny, cool guy. It sucks that life has these types of events.

nalani said...

I'm so sorry Sam! I totally remember him too! Man, I should have looked at this at home cause I'm totally crying at work now. I'll be sure to keep you and his family in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Brett and I were actually both the president (along with the rest of the club).

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

you know that you have my love and deepest sympathy sam, i remember you guys in your knit hats.... all summer long, always laughing and juggling anything you could. kudos to you for remaining Bretts good friend through the years.

Thomas said...

That made me cry, even though I am emotional right now, that is so sad.

Indiana Clark's said...

Sam,I'm sorry to hear about your friend Brett. Knowing the kind of person you are, I'll bet thier wasn't a better friend to Brett than you. I've dealt with death a lot this year and I know it sucks! My heart and prayers go out to you. Love, Mike

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mike. This has been a hard one for me. I know that if anyone can understand right now, you guys can.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie,
You don't know me, I grew up with Brett in Whittier, Ca. I found your blog when I did a google search with his full name. I was wondering if you would be kind enough to download these photos of Brett onto his obituary website so everyone can enjoy them? They made me smile especially the juggling one- he LOVED to juggle and we had such fun times in seminary and at school! I'm glad to know he had such great friends in Utah, as well.
Here's a link to the Obit page:
http://www.legacy.com/DeseretNews/Guestbook.asp?Page=GuestBook&PersonId=18830379
Thank you.

Carrie said...

Anonymous-
I'm so glad you found this blog posting about Brett. My husband misses Brett's friendship very much and I'm sure you feel the same way. We'll work on getting the photos downloaded onto the obituary page.
Thanks for your comment!

Scott Petersen said...

Hi, thank you so much for writing this, I'm Brett's brother...I was just having one of those day missing him and it was wonderful to see this