Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Experiments...

For Carson's birthday, my mom and dad gave him an 'experiment box' that is all about crystals. Inside the box there are several different experiments you can do that involve some type of crystal properties. For the past 3 days we have been doing these activities. It's been really fun and it's nice because pretty much everything you need to do the activities are included in the box, which is a huge bonus!

Here are some pictures of the first one we did. It's called "Crystal Jungle". The first picture is about one hour after we poured the crystal solution on the jungle. The last picture is about 12 hours later. It was excellent fun!





The next experiment was to make a polymer. It was pretty bizarre. I added a bottle of elmer's-type glue to some water and food coloring. In another jar, I mixed water with some crystal powder. Then I combined the two jars of 'stuff' and it turned it into a rubbery blob. Fascinating eh? Well, it was to my 6 year old. Seriously, he played with this blob for about 3 hours!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is cooler than when you explained it to me!! i love the blob!

nalani said...

That crystals thing is awesome!!! Where did you parents get that? My nieces and nephews would LOVE that!

Curtis and Shandy said...

At least this gift, he can actually put it in water.

Anonymous said...

Nalani: We got it at Target. They have a whole section of that type of toys. Carl wanted to buy them all for himself!! It's always good when your gifts are a hit...

Kami said...

What an awesome gift idea! Carl and Pat always come up with the best gift ideas!

Delene said...

Those crystals were really cool.

Sarah said...

Those crystals look like fun and might even inspire me to open the kit we've had for 2 years! I'm not really a science mom...I will be sending my kids to stay with you the week before their science fair projects are due. To me, science fair projects are right up there with teething, ear infections and emergency room visits.