Saturday, October 28, 2006

Trick or Treat? We Got Tricked!

Late this afternoon we were going to go to Hogle Zoo with our friends, Ryan and Natalie, and go trick or treating. I got Carson all psyched up and seriously excited. Then Natalie called and said she found out that the trick or treating ended at 3:00pm and we weren't going to be there until 5:00pm.

So, I had to have a discussion with Carson about the difference between "Trick" and "Treat". It was very uncomfortable and felt like the "birds and bees" discussion might be like. I shudder for the day.....

Anyway, being the awesome mom that I am, I have never taken Parker to the zoo and he's now 2 years and 4 months old. So, who cares about trick or treating, we're gonna go see some animals in cages!!

Here's the first animals Parker saw, some ugly turkeys. I can't read his expression. Is it happy, sad, fearful, astonished, perplexed, mystified, or maybe a turkey just "goosed" him!?!


Next we saw elephants. We hung out with the elephants FOREVER and as we were leaving, Carson said "HEY where are the elephants?" Now, the sad thing, is he wasn't kidding. I think he was too excited about the running water that went around the elephant display to even notice the 4 ton elephant in the room.


Ryan and Natalie's daughter, Ivy, threw her pacifier over the fence into the elephant display. I got a sweet shot of Ryan jumping over into the elephant home to retrieve the treasured binky. Nice one Ryan!


Here's a cool bird (Darren, what is it?) and some fruit bats (super creepy). It was very smelly in the different animal houses. As we walked into the Ape house, Carson took a huge, deep breath and said "it smells FRESH in here!" I swear I'm not lying!



I've never seen this animal before, but it's a "red panda". It is friggin' cute!


And finally, my kids will never walk by a cool fountain without getting soaked from playing in it. Notice Ivy with the binky in her mouth? Once again, good save Ryan!



Now, don't get tricked tomorrow and show up to church earlier than you need to! Remember to "Fall back" your clocks!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

The pacifier-retrieving Daddy is hilarious! It will make a great family legend for them someday. Although I would suggest changing it to a tiger cage and the pacifier to the baby girl herself. When Ivy is a teenager he can say, "Don't talk to me like that! I risked my life to pull you from a tiger cage!"
Okay, so I admit I am under the influence of cold medicine.

Darren Clark said...

We took our children to "Boo at the Zoo" in Idaho Falls yesterday, which is probably what you intended to do. It was fun, but got a little crowded towards the end. The bird is a Roseate Spoonbill and they are a cool bird.

Susan said...

Darn, I wanted to answer the bird question before Darren did. Roseate Spookbills were in Louisiana. Too bad you missed the trick or treating. It's fun to trick or treat and see the animals.

karmen said...

I love the expression on Parkers face in the first picture! I am going with the "maybe he got goosed" comment. Hilarious!

Curtis and Shandy said...

I think Parker is pretty cute these days.

Anonymous said...

you have had a great blog week! i hope you are coming trick or treating at my house- i will be off on tuesday- nobody wants to come to the dentist on halloween!
btw- i will be making fresh, hot bread in the morning -maybe some yummy chili-- how is lunch time??