Sunday, October 22, 2006

Murder Mystery Dinner

Saturday night I became Madame Garlique (a fortune teller gypsy) and Sam became King Aldrinktotat (a mummy) for a murder mystery dinner. Our awesome friends, Ryan and Natalie Jones, decided that our ward needed to do more things as friends and neighbors instead of waiting for the activities committee to do a party. So, they called 26 couples in our ward and invited them to a murder mystery dinner at their house. 16 couples agreed and came. Natalie and Ryan were very smart because they sat people together who may not normally hang out socially. We had 4 murder mystery games all going at the same time. It was hysterical. So many people have already told me it was the first time they really felt welcome in our ward and neighborhood and they can't wait to get together again! I'm still amazed that 32 people fit in Natalie's basement for dinner! That's brave and inspiring all at the same time.

One of the best moments of the night: Our host, Ryan Jones, said a blessing on the food. He was dressed as a devil, so.....picture that!
Enjoy the photos:

Here's is Sam playing the mummy


Here are Davis and Holly Strong. Davis was Frankenstein but he put an Elvis twist onto it. For some reason every time I looked at him I couldn't stop laughing. He kept that mask on the entire night, and he's "follicly challenged" (pretty bald) so the fake hair was a hoot.


Here's Sam and I. Notice the awesome dungeon walls? They covered every wall with this plastic that looked like a dungeon and they made homemade rootbeer that was brewin' for us. Yummy!


Travis and Emily Maughan. She is my visiting teacher and he serves with Sam in scouts.


Here's our hosts: Natalie and Ryan Jones


This is Kimmy Buckley. She played Dr. Deth DDS. She made earrings out of her actual teeth x-rays! That is creative!


Here is Russ and Amy Adams. They moved into the house next to Ryan and Natalie. They hadn't even been to church yet so this was my first time meeting them. I was so nervous that I wouldn't recognize them today in church, but after a few minutes, I made the connection okay. She actually has blonde hair!


It was such a fun evening and I learned so much about my neighbors and friends. Does anyone have any other ideas for a get together? I definitely want to keep this trend going!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious!! you guys look great- jess had a progressive dinner -but they went to restaurants instead of houses-

Delene said...

When we were "younger" we spent hours playing Spoons with our friends and neighbors. We put the kids down stairs or hired one baby sitter at another house and laughed for hours!

Jess said...

i find that bored games or card games that can involve a lot of people are tons of fun... try hand and foot.. or nertz... both are great card games.. also, liars dice is a way fun game..

Anonymous said...

Carrie did such a good job with her character, I was kind-of worried.

Anonymous said...

Probably I'd want to play board games--bored games might be boring! Now Liars Dice sounds interesting!

Susan said...

That sounds like a Darren comment.

Sarah said...

Around Valentine's, you could always play a clean version of the Newlywed Game. I have a bunch of questions saved on my computer that are fun if you decide to do that. Not a real original idea, but always a fun one! Our ward needs to be more social- you've inspired me.