Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Signs of Summer

As I've mentioned earlier, Carson has learned to ride his bike and now he rides it all the time. He also thinks it's real cool to skid his back tire and make black marks all over the sidewalks. What else happens when you constantly skid your tire? Yep, flat tire and flat tube. So, for FHE on Monday, Sam and Carson changed his tire. I'm sure it's the first of MANY...



Parker and I were happy and content to just watch the process. DANG my hair is gray! Aren't you guys embarrassed to be seen with me? Why doesn't anybody yell at me to get my hair colored?


I got the boys in swim lessons again this summer. They both did great and Parker was much more comfortable with putting his face in the water. They both have late afternoon lessons and it's surpringly really nice. Last year I did early morning...what was I thinking?


And now for something completely different (I think that's a Monty Python title):
Last night I ran to the grocery store to buy some Spaghetti. They had 16 oz. packages 10 for $10 so I bought 2. I came home and started making dinner. I picked up one package and thought "sheesh, this is a small package of spaghetti!" I looked at the back to see the serving size. According to the package, it serves 8. I just couldn't believe that. Then I picked up the second package I bought and it was so much heavier! I got out my handy dandy kitchen scale and look what I discovered!

1st package:


2nd package:


Isn't that crazy? I swear that there aren't any holes in the 1st package, it's just a packaging mistake I suppose. I could return it, but let's be honest, it only cost me $1 and I suck at returning things so I'll just take it in the tailpipe!

9 comments:

Jess said...

haha! before the spaghetti pictures you said that one bag of spaghetti cost $10! i was thinking, "and she bought that? is it special spaghetti?".. makes sense once you read the end and realize you meant $1!!! love ya.

Carrie said...

Jess, you silly, I said they were "10 for $10"

Curtis and Shandy said...

Sam is good at getting his money's worth, you should send him.

Anonymous said...

Yea, I'm not going to accept that. We agreed to take it back, I'll do it tomorrow. Oh, and get your hair colored!

Natalie said...

I personally like your grey hair Carrie. I wonder how many skid marks Sam made in his life? A few were made trying to avoid being hit by cars. Sam's a lucky man, since the only helmets when we were kids were worn by astronauts. Oh, and if it's worth a dollar Sam, you'd better walk to the store because you'll spend 2 dollars in gas to get you spaghetti.

Sam said...

I figure the Odyssey gets about 28 miles to the gallon. The store is exactly 1 mile away so a mile there and a mile back at $3.99 per gallon is about 28 cents. I'm not actually gaining a dollar since the bag of speghetti was half full, that really only saves me 50 cents. So I'm really spending 28 cents to gain 50 which is a net profit of 22 cents. That's not taking into consideration the wear and tear on the van, my time, taxes, and anything I'll buy that I wasn't planning on (probably Bryer's Snickers ice cream at $4.99/half gallon). I definately loose money in the end but there's a principle here to be taught....I am an arrogant middle aged american caucasian male.

Carl and Pat said...

Sam's calculations are right on. Our trip to Harmon's or Macey's to buy milk always ends up costing us $40.00 or more! A good percentage of it is what Carl slips into the shopping cart when I'm not looking.

Ink Poison said...

Next time I see you I want your hair to be dyed all silver. And I'm sorry, but do you know how many times I have paid more for an item b/c it was not priced properly? Things even out in the end.

Susan said...

So, here's the lesson. Next time you find a bargain price on spaghetti, lift all of them up and pick the heaviest ones!