Sunday, June 15, 2008

Whose Yer Daddy?!

Happy Father's Day!

I hope everyone had a great Father's Day today. We had an insanely busy weekend but it was fun and a good time was had by all!

Last night our ward had a BBQ. I seriously love our ward because everyone is so friendly and there is never a quiet moment because we all have so much to say!
I learned that Parker is becoming quite the ladies man, seriously. Every time I'd look up he was surrounded by little girls ranging in age from 2 to 4. Here he is standing next to Kennedy. Ivy is the girl sitting on the ground. Kennedy and Ivy had a few cat fights that evening...pretty dang funny!


For dessert we made homemade ice cream. It was so fun! You take a quart jar and add 1 cup of whole milk or chocolate milk. Then you add one cup of heavy cream, 1/2 cup sugar, and a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Put the lid on the quart jar and place in a #10 can. Place ice all around the jar, in the can and add 3/4 cup rock salt. Put the lid on the #10 can and roll around quickly for 10 minutes. Remove the lid, add more ice and salt and replace lid. Roll can quickly for another 10 minutes. Remove lid and add more ice and salt and replace lid. Roll can for another 5 minutes and then enjoy your ice cream. It was really loud and lots of fun because everywhere you look you see people rolling their cans around!

Sam got smart and used a stick to roll his around the sidewalk, which wasn't easy because he sprained his ankle earlier in the day playing basketball (actually I think that's the only way he has EVER sprained his ankle...):


Here's Natalie using her bare feet...Brrrr!


Other's rolled it back and forth on the table:


Once it was done, I was pleasantly surprised because the ice cream was nice and hard and was very refreshing! I would highly recommend doing this activity at any ward function or family reunion!

Traci and Parker loved it! I don't know if Traci reads my blog but she is going to kill me when she sees this picture!


See? Normally Traci is a cutie! She snuggled with Cameron for a long time, which gave me a nice break!


After the BBQ, our friends, The Festin's, needed some muscle power to raise a beam and place it in the new addition they are doing on their house.

It looked incredibly heavy, but instead of helping, I decided to take pictures instead.



This picture makes me totally laugh. The only people REALLY holding up the beam are Jake Colton (center) and Mike Brough (headless man on right)! Russ (second from left) is using one finger.... Busted!


Of course, just as they FINISHED putting up the beam, Ryan Jones shows up. Here he is, pretending to wipe the sweat from his brow. His muscles really could have helped Jake and Mike!


Today my parents, Curtis and Shandy, Fontella, and my family headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon to "The Spruces" campground and cooked some tin foil dinners and enjoyed nature. It was so much fun, I think we may make it a tradition! We just drove to the campground and asked for a campsite for the evening. It cost us $10 and we had the site reserved until 9pm tonight. It was awesome! A big 'THANKS' to Sam, Curtis, and my dad for cooking the dinners...normally the guys don't have to do any cooking on Father's Day so I was happy they were eager to play in the fire!
Here is my cute family:


Here's my mom and dad, Happy Father's Day dad!


Here's some fun pictures:








Of course we did the traditional foil dinners, you know, the hamburger, potatoes, carrots, cream of mushroom soup....but not Shandy...NO WAY...she got gourmet on us! She works at CPK so last night she made up calzones at work, wrapped them in foil, and placed them neatly in a pizza box. I laughed pretty hard when Curtis pulled this out of their cooler!


I'm annoyed that I didn't take a picture of my dinner, fresh from the hot coals. It was seriously yummy!!!

The only First Aid Moment of the night was when Carson picked up what he thought was a rock, but it was actually a hot coal. He burned his thumb pretty bad but he handled it like a trooper!


Shandy brought a big tupperware container of **gag** Ramen noodles for Dexter. The crazy thing is my boys fought over those noodles when they had a perfectly beautifully cooked meal of tin foil dinners right in front of them! Boys....gotta love 'em!


I could go on and on, but this post is already record-breaking too long....I hope everybody had a great Father's Day and I look forward to reading about it on all the blogs! Happy Monday tomorrow...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are awesome pictures! looks like you had a great time- happy fathers day Sammy!!

Carl and Pat said...

That so much fun! I mean, can it get more fun than throwing rocks in a stream with grandsons for a solid two hours?!! I'm pretty sure Dexter would have kept it up until midnight if we'd let him. Best tin foil dinners ever and Fontella's homemade eclairs were incredible!

Ginger said...

I love the Spruces. You should totally make that a tradition and we will come with you. ;)

The Airharts said...

Looks like the ward BBQ was super fun-Its good to see pics of other people in the ward. Anyway-since we grew up right next to the canyons we allways were in them-next time go to millcreek canyon and drive up to chuch fork( on the north side of canyon) and they have tons of pits for FREE- it really is super pretty too-with the creek runing right next to it. There is a charge to get out of the canyon but I think its like 2 bucks. I cant believe how big your baby allready is.

The Buckley's said...

Oh look how fun! I miss the ward soooooooooooooooooooo much! It was such a great ward! Happy Fathers Day!

Anonymous said...

Missy, they charge you to get OUT of the canyon? What if you don't have any money?

It was a fun day. We need to put that book of day hikes to good use...