Monday, June 30, 2008

Happy 40th Anniversary!

My parents celebrated their 40th anniversary yesterday with a little help from us! In case you haven't already learned this about us, nothing is sacred...every life experience deserves a little "mocking" and if a moment is embarrassing, well...that's good news for us because we'll bring it up time and time again...laughing harder with each exaggerated story. I'll explain more later...

First of all, Curtis and Shandy had the great idea to decorate my parents car as if they were newlyweds. But instead of putting stuff on the windows like 'just married' or 'congratulations' we made it more age-appropriate and added some "Carl-isms". Check it out:




So, back to that embarrassing story...
Last summer my Grandpa passed away so most of my siblings and cousins were all together in a tiny town in Washington. We were all at dinner at this little calzone place (oh, those were some good calzones!) and for some reason, the topic of conversation turned to "how were you propsed to?". We were all telling our various stories, which were mostly sweet and tender. Nalani and I noticed my mom and dad sort of giggling, kind of nervous-like. Finally, Nalani said "Aunt Pat, how did Uncle Carl propose to you?" The nervous-like laughter turned to a red-faced cackle. Now, you HAVE to understand that my mom is pretty proper and reserved when it comes to stuff like this...So my dad says "well, Pat was playing her roommate's grand piano and well, we started kissing...and SOMEHOW ended up underneath the piano....one thing led to another...and I asked her to marry me." Basically, I think the calzone shop was ready to KICK US OUT because there were about 15 people laughing as loud as we could and as cackley as we could. I've never seen my mom's face that red! So, back to yesterday...

I couldn't pass by the opportunity to somehow bring up the grand piano story into the 40th anniversary celebration, now could I? There is an awesome store in Gardner Village called "The Christmas Shoppe". I found a really pretty grand piano Christmas ornament that matches the color scheme of my parent's tree so I bought it and wrapped it up. I LOVE my parent's reaction upon seeing it:


We had a yummy breakfast-for-dinner meal (my favorite) and then sent my parents away to a hotel in Park City. Of course they had to make their way to their car via a confetti throwing double line of people. We even sent them with a mini wedding cake for two and some sparkling apple cider and goblets.


What a good looking couple!


Remember who you are and what you stand for....


I hope my parents enjoyed the day, I think it was pretty fun and the food was grubbin!

I have to give a big "THANKS" to Shandy! I'm the only girl in my family with 3 brothers so a lot of this party planning falls on my shoulders. I'm so thankful for Shandy because she is a creative and 'get it done' kind of girl and I love it! Course, we do love to laugh and make things funny...perhaps at the expense of others....

I know, how about for the 50th celebration we leave it to Kim and Susan??!! They will make sure to add the "classy factor" into the party. What do you think Kim and Susan? Start planning now for June 29, 2018! :)

6 comments:

Carl and Pat said...

You would think after all these years with our crazy kids, I'd get used to the craziness, and I think I have--really--I just can't help blushing. This was such a fun day for us, and really, it was better than those two reception lines 40 years ago. Sometime, however, we'll have to give you the real story of the romantic formal proposal and engagement, but I'm pretty sure it won't draw nearly the laughs. (Pat)

nalani said...

Oh I love the "making out underneath the grand piano" story----for sure one of my favorites!!! I think Uncle Carl should buy Aunt Pat a grand piano for their 50th---wouldn't that be so great!!!

Holly Strong said...

That picture of your parents opening that piano present is priceless! What a fun family you have. 40 years, that's amazing.

Ink Poison said...

I love this. I'm going right now to ask my parents about their proposal.

Natalie said...

That's a great story! I love the decorated car idea.

Susan said...

Okay, I'll be in on the 50th.