Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Being A Mum

I really like being a mum. Not this kind of mum:


Although I do love mums. Some people think they are funeral flowers, but I think they are amazing because they bloom in the fall when all the summer flowers are just plain spent. Just when I start getting sad because my flower gardening days are done for the year, the mum burst forth with huge blossoms on huge bushes and they bloom right up until it snows practically. Yep, I love mums.

I also love Tulips. Sam took this picture:


I also like my lilac bushes during this time of year!


How about these pretty roses I picked out for myself, in honor of Mother's Day?


Mother's Day was this past Sunday. The day started with breakfast in bed. Not just ANY breakfast. I received breakfast made by Carson. What's important to remember, is that he woke up and remembered it was Mother's Day. Nobody prompted him or offered suggestions on things he could do. He woke up and decided to cook me scrambled eggs.

Little explanation. Carson loves to crack an egg into a bowl, scramble it, add water, and cook it in the microwave. He then drowns it in ketchup and scarfs it down. When I make the eggs for him, I add butter, salt, and pepper. Not him, he's hard core like that.

So, when he shows up in my room with a rubbery cooked egg, glued to the sides of the bowl, what could I do but exclaim my appreciation for him?? I'm hard core like that. Then he says "Parker went downstairs to get another bottle of ketchup because the one in the fridge is almost gone! Then you can put ketchup on your egg!"

Quickly thinking, I said "Thanks Carson! Give me a few minutes to wake up and then I need to put my contacts in." He was good with that and he walked away. Then I ate my eggs like a nurturing mother and thanked him from the bottom of my heart.

I wish I could be cool like that.

The truth: When he wasn't looking, I disposed of the egg and then showed him my empty dish and rubbed my stomach as if to say "Best darn egg I've ever eaten!" He was happy and I hope he forgives me when he reads this blog one day.

The boys also made cards for me. This is Carson's card:
Chicken in egg:


Chicken breaking out of egg:


Finally, chicken flying into sunset (he draws better than I can, I could never draw a bird that good, seriously!):


Carson helped Parker make this card. I'm so glad my kids always catch the essence of my large hair.



We had a delicious dinner at my parents house. I can never get enough of those! Sam gave me a really nice card and a few days ago we picked out some rose bushes to plant in the yard. He said he's working on something else, not sure what that's all about, but it's fun to look forward to an upcoming surprise.

Overall, the day was really nice and the kids were even pretty well behaved at church, so that rocked!

Onto another subject: We've had this little ball that rolls around on the ground and shakes like crazy since Carson was little. Kids always have the same reaction to the ball, it cracks me up!


You'd think they would get a headache!

7 comments:

sam said...

Cute kids, cute cards, cute everything!

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

You're so busted for posting Sam's Super Secret Blog Page! I laugh.

Natalie said...

That Carson is a good artist! I love the flapping wings, and the rear-view of him flying away into the sunset. Those are some complex art things!

Sorry Carrie - I don't like mums.

fern said...

mums the word.... they can be so colorful!! haha that was great- i loved the cards! cameron looks a little wobbly at the end of the video!

Carl and Pat said...

No wonder you had a great Mother's Day--you are a great mom. The egg story is another classic, and the wobbly ball video is a hoot--that thing has brought so many laughs over the years! Love ya...

cathy said...

I love the flying chicken. That Carson, the eternal optimist!
Maybe I'm a "mum", waiting to bloom after everything else is spent... :)

Susan said...

Wouldn't it be nice if tulips, lilacs and daffodils bloomed all summer? I'm very impressed with Carson's breakfast.