Thursday, May 21, 2009

Eye See You!

Instead of doing a huge novel, I split my blog updates into two sections, check out Parker's Preschool graduation in the previous post below.

Yesterday we checked in at Primary Childrens Hospital at 7:15am. They took Cameron's vitals and his lungs were clear of congestion so we were able to proceed with the surgery. The first order of business...cute little baby hospital gown.


Next step: Mark the eye so surgery gets performed in the right location! See the goober in his eye? That's what he's looked like for over 14 months!


Then we just waited for about 1/2 hour until it was time for his surgery. He hadn't had anything to eat or drink for over 12 hours at this point and he was totally happy. I was so surprised. He didn't even need the anxiety medicine. That is good and bad. Good that he was happy, bad that we didn't get to see loopy Cameron. That anxiety stuff is amazing. I remember when Carson received it before getting stitches when he was pretty young. He would almost fall over from laughing...at nothing.

Here's Cameron watching Sam juggle. Entertainment for the whole waiting room! I should have taken a picture of Sam! Sorry buddy!


Oops, Sam dropped the balls right on Cameron's forehead. See the red spot above his right eye? Oh well, he's still smiling! The lady in the background said "I can TELL he's your third child!". Probably because I didn't freak out when he got hurt (I chuckled) and I didn't wipe EVERY toy down with a wet wipe before letting my child play with it (she did!).


Before we knew it, they put Cameron in a wagon.


It's blurry, but there he goes. He had a confused look when the doctor wheeled him away, but no tears.


The surgery only took 30 minutes. Afterwards the doctor told me that it was very "satisfying" because when they put the probe/balloon down into his tear duct they pushed through a barrier and once they dislodged it the duct flowed freely. I was so happy, this has been a long journey...not necessarily a big trial, but it's just been annoying. I've wiped his eye and cheek about 20 times a day since the day he was born. I'm not even kidding. Let's see.....that is about 8,720 wipes in his lifetime!

Right when he woke up I was able to be with him. He definitely was NOT happy at this point. He cried like a banshee for about 20 minutes. They had put a breathing tube in his throat and I'm sure he was pretty sore and it made him really hoarse. The only thing I could do to calm him down was sing the ABC's to him. If you know anything at all about me, you know I cannot sing, so "singing" in front of nurses and other parents was a trip. I tried to sing just loud enough for screaming Cameron to hear. :)

Once he calmed down we went to a post-op area and met Sam there. Sam handed Cameron the itouch. On the itouch he had put Cameron's favorite game that has animal sounds. Once Cameron saw it, he forgot his misery and happily played the animal sounds. Thank you itouch!! :)


Here's a face only a mother could love. ha ha ha! Swollen eye, bloody nose (the probe went from the tear duct, down into his nose which gave him a bloody nose), and gap between front teeth. I love every bit of it!


They put the IV in his arm so they had taped a board against his arm so he couldn't bend his elbow and disrupt the needle. This part made him ticked off--removing the needle. Poor buddy!



Once we hit the road, Cameron hit the hay.


I'm happy to report that I have not had to wipe his eye ONCE since we got home from the hospital! To you, that is no big deal, to me....I just saved a bunch of money because now I don't have to buy tissues every time I go to the store!! SWEET!!!

7 comments:

Thomas said...

LOL at you singing for the nurses. What a sweet melody! Glad Cameron made it through. This surgery made a big difference for Quinn. No more crusty yellow and green stuff around the eye.

cathy said...

Congrats on the sucessful procedure! Doesn't it make you grateful for modern medicine? Or else you'd be wiping that eye FOREVER!

Natalie said...

I love the picture of Cameron looking at Sam juggle. So cute! I'm glad he's all better. That had to suck. Kate had that problem for a few months, but it cleared itself up.

sam said...

Carrie forgot to mention that when I lost control 2 juggling balls hit Cameron in the face one right after the other. It was hilarious, I don't know why he cried.

The whole ordeal was quite a little adventure.

Susan said...

He looks adorable in the hospital attire!

Toni said...

Hooray for no eye booger wiping anymore! I feel your pain! Although, with William, we just went to the doc and they did it as an outpatient and it only took like 10 seconds for them to poke the hole and he was just strapped to a board. They said if we had waited much longer, he would have been too big and they would have had to do a surgery. Duh, you told me to wait until he was a year, don't tell me I almost waited too long! Grrr. Morgan's Eye finally poked through on it's own at about 8 months. We grow poor ducts in our family. Cam's was super technical, I am so glad that it is over! I wanted to tell you in person how AWESOME your talk was today, but I had to get my Bear home to bed (long story) Anyway, I loved it so much and I love you guys, I am sad this was my last week and I didn't even get to make it to the entire block! Whether you know it or not, Brian and I look up to you guys so much, you have had a huge impact on our lives here. Thanks
he he this was like the longest comment of the century!

Carl and Pat said...

That photo of him in hospital attire is one of my favorites of him. The cutest ever! That little guy is such a trooper and so dang loveable it almost hurts! (G'Ma C)