Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Best Rolls Ever!

These are the best rolls I've ever made:


They come from a new cookbook that my friend Cathy picked up for me. Thanks Cathy! Even better, is that Cathy has the same cookbook so I can call her and say "look at page so and so..." and I can ask her for her opinion on all sorts of culinary issues.

Example...today I called her and asked her if I could substitute 2% milk for the whole milk in these rolls. She said "yes" so I did.

Rich and Tender American Dinner Rolls
From "The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook"

1 1/4 cups whole milk, warm (or 2%....)
10 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg, lightly beaten
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar or honey (I used sugar because honey is expensive!)
1 envelope (2 1/4 teaspoons) instand or rapid-rise yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Whisk the milk, 8 tablespoons of butter, and egg together in a bowl. Mix 4 cups of the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt together in a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook. With mixer on low speed, add the milk mixture and mix until dough comes together, about 1 minute.

2. Increase speed to medium-low and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. If, after 5 minutes, more flour is needed, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough clears the side of the bowl but sticks to the bottom.

3. Turn dough out onto counter and knead by hand to form a smooth, round ball. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.

4. Divide dough into 24 even pieces. Round each piece into a ball (or whatever shape suits your fancy). Space balls evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet and wrap loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap (I did two pans of 12 rolls because I didn't want them touching). Let rolls rise until nearly doubled in size, about 30 to 60 minutes.

5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush rolls with remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and bake until golden, 20 - 25 minutes. Let the rolls cool on the baking sheets for 10 minutes, then serve warm.

Seriously, these rolls were heavenly! They were so soft and flavorful, I think I had like 6 with dinner. Go make 'em now!

9 comments:

laura said...

my mother is OBSESSED with america's test kitchen! she watches their show all the time! i might have to try these out!

how's parker liking preschool? miss FINALLY starts on friday, but don't worry, she only gets to go for 2 out of the 4 friday's this month. yeah, pretty lame. i'm still bitter she and parker couldn't be in the same class :(

Ginger said...

Ummm, too complicated for me. I am a Rhodes girl but I am sure they really are the best!

Jess said...

those look freaking amazing.. one day when i don't go to school full time and work part time i might take the time to look back at this post and make these rolls. or maybe tonight since i don't have to work...

Anonymous said...

YUM!!

Ambyr said...

I will have to look into this cookbook, I am starting to think that I collect them. Those rolls really do look great!

Maria said...

I love everything that rolls out of America's Test Kitchen. I have one of their cookbooks also, and everything I've made out of it is amazing. The rolls look awesome!

cathy said...

Yea Carrie! They look really good. So you don't like your rolls touching? Are you like that with all your food? :) I'll have to try out that recipe, except that I don't have my cookbook yet. Funny, I accidentally shipped it to my old address, which was in the system. Well, instead of forwarding it to me they just returned it. Sheesh. I'll let you know when I have it, then we can really do some parallel cooking!

PrincessKatie said...

Those look so good. I have never made anything from scratch like that. Are you sure you don't want to just make them for my family for every sunday dinner! Just kidding. I may have to try them.

Anonymous said...

I agree that these are the best! I baked five different (similar style) rolls today and these were both my husband's and my favorite recipe. Basic rolls don't have that many things to differentiate them, but I believe that it was the extra butter inside that brought these over the top! Wonderful flavor and texture!!!