Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Oooooh Scary! Awwww, Cute!

Yesterday evening:

Sam: Carrie, I'm a little worried because The Cure is releasing a new album tomorrow and I'm not sure how I'm going to obtain it during the day.
Carrie: Um, can't you just wait until you get home tomorrow night and then you can go buy it?
Sam: Get real Carrie, I need it FIRST THING IN THE MORNING!
Carrie: (laugh) oh, sorry. Maybe you could go to work, and then take TRAX to Best Buy.
Sam: Hmmm, that may work...
Carrie: While you are pondering, I'm going to go downstairs and watch my TIVO'D shows.
Sam: ...... (still thinking)

About halfway through Dancing With The Stars, Sam comes running downstairs, all excited, and face flushed.

Sam: CARRIE! Guess what?!? Graywhale is having a midnight sale of The Cure's album!
Carrie: Sam, Sam, Sam....here's the deal. If you go to the midnight sale, you have to do two things for me. First, you have to take a picture of yourself holding your CD and your phone so I can see the time. Second, you have to drive around in a remote location and listen to the entire CD, really REALLY loud!
Sam: I can do that!

And he was out the door.
I tried convincing him that we should do his make up and clothes like Robert Smith, but he informed me that he didn't want to look like a "dork".



So here is his proof picture: His phone clock says 1:33am. He picked up his CD and then drove several miles away to listen to it really loud in the van. Does his face say "pure joy" in that picture? He told me this morning that the CD is twice as good as he had hoped. He was quite giddy.

He even got a free poster. Hmmm, not sure what he'll do with that. It's not like we're in college and people decorate with posters. I told him he should take it to work and hang it in his cubicle. He rolled his eyes at me.


This morning Parker had his Halloween parade at Preschool. He was super excited to be "spiderman with muscles" again this year. Here he is with Jacob.


After his class sang several Halloween songs, they got to go trick-or-treating to several offices within the High School. Every parent donated at LEAST a big bag of candy, so I'm kind of scared to see how much candy he is going to come home with. I even saw one mom bring Halloween cupcakes (over-achiever!).


Let the tooth decay begin!

15 comments:

Jess said...

i miss the good old days of costume parades and trick-or-treating at school.. and valentine boxes, too.. our ward is having a halloween party with a cupcake decorating contest and i'm not sure how i'm going to decorate them..

Anonymous said...

this is priceless!! sam will do anything for a good time!! parker looks awesome- let me know when the school parade is- i am off friday!

Anonymous said...

Okay, that's not exactly how the conversation between Carrie and I went but I guess you get the jist of it. It really is a great album, but I'm very biased. Oh yea, and Parker's cute too.

Anonymous said...

One of the highlights of Dream 4:13

Underneath The Stars

Floating here like this with you
Underneath the stars
Alight for 13 billion years
The view is beautiful
And ours alone tonight
Underneath the stars

Spinning round and round with you
Watching shadows melt the light
Soft shining from our eyes
Into another space
Is ours alone tonight
Watching shadows melt

And the waves break...

Whisper in my ear a wish
"We could drift away"
Held tight
Your voice inside my head
The kiss is infinite
And ours alone tonight
"We could drift away"

And everything gone
And all still to come
As nothing to us
Together as one
In each others arms
So near and so far
Forever as now
Underneath the stars

As the waves break...

Everyone go get your copy

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, the perfect boy?? i didn't know cameron know how to use the computer!!

Susan said...

I love that story! ( and I'm not saying it like Darren says it) I really do love that story. I hope you weren't too tired at work, Sam.

Natalie said...

I love how Sam listened to his new album really loud in the VAN. I think I will always feel 23, and still like my little guilty pleasures. But try as I may, there's always something that reminds me of reality . . . .like the dang mini-van. Good to see that Sam has maintained a bit of his identity . . . bishopric and all. Refreshing.

Ambyr said...

I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed in Sam being a Cure fan, I had him pegged as an 80's rocker instead! I do admire him for his loyalty for them however!

Parker is cute as always! Austin still askes everyday "parker's house" "Parker's cars" meaning that he wants to go to Parker's house and play cars.

Sarah said...

I had the same thought as "the Petons". I was thinking Sam was pretty cool driving around at 1:30 in the morning blaring the Cure until you mentioned 'the van.' And, Carrie, why didn't you go with him? I am sure the kids would've stayed asleep...

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

Oh Sam, you're such a nerd, but that's why we all love you. Brian is kind of sort of the same with some of his things he loves, that's what makes him so endearing.

Yea, blaring THE CURE at 1 in the AM in your mini van is awesome!

Too bad you didn't invite me, I'm in your neck of the woods now! I hear it is a glorious CD, can't wait to listen to it.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't even get you to go to the concert with me. Next time Laurel, next time...

Consumer Reports dubbed the new Honda Odyssey as "the sportscar of minivans" so I didn't let the fact that I was "cruising" in it bother me one bit. I did realize that 6 speakers are not nearly enough for this album.

Amelia said...

i really like how Sam couldn't download it on iTunes for just $10... hahah...

laura said...

oh, geez. i sure hope tom doesn't want to get this cd.

about the poster...tom was trying to convince me the other day that we should get some "flight of the conchords" posters to put in the basement aka "the man cave". apparently my husband is eternally 19.

Anonymous said...

I know Carrie's going to hate this but I have to thank Laurel Levesque McComie for introducing me to The Cure. Amelia, You need to see my Cure collection of CD's...then you'll understand. Laura, Flight of the Conchords posters are a great idea!

cathy said...

Great story. Don't worry, there are men out there in minivans everywhere listening to Rush, Depeche Mode, and the Cure. And why is it embarrasing for a MAN to do this and not a woman? Next time I'm cruising in the minivan I'll turn up the Led Zeppelin to spite everyone.
Carrie, I think your next topic could be "How can we customize our pathetic minivans to make them (and us) cool again?" Desert Landscapes? Grateful Dead stickers?