Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Human Body IMAX Movie



So tonight we took Carson and Parker to see "The Human Body" Imax movie at the Planetarium. It seemed like something Carson would especially like. Here is the movie description:

This film reveals The Human Body in a way never seen before – telling the incredible story of a single day in the lifetime of you and me. From morning to night we live through many miracles - from the moment we first open our eyes to the last rumblings of our evening meal late at night as it is turned into the raw materials with which we will face tomorrow. In astonishing detail, we explore the daily biological processes that go on without our control and often without our even noticing.

Overall it was an amazing movie and I would totally watch it again...but NOT with my boys! It showed little sperm swimming to an egg. Parker asked me what they were. I told him they were sperm because I didn't think the conversation would go any further...but then he said in a super loud voice "OH THEY ARE SPERM!!" As if he knew what that meant! I died a little inside.

Then the movie showed a close-up of armpit hair..I totally thought it was another kind of hair and again, I died a little inside.

Then they showed a lady delivering a baby, yes she was covered up, but I have explained to my kids that the baby comes out of my stomach (they just assumed I meant out of my belly button and I haven't corrected them) and I think they believed me, until tonight. It was pretty obvious that the baby didn't come straight out of her belly button...I died a little again.

Probably the grossest for-your-viewing-pleasure moment was when we saw the stomach digesting food. The human had eaten a pasta salad and she DIDN'T chew her food very well.

Good thing I'm not prego, I would have gagged dang hard...DANG hard!

6 comments:

The Airharts said...

Carrie-so funny-me and kimmy were talking about that the other day and we were wondering when do you finally stop letting your kid this the babies just come out of your tummy. At least you dont have to worry about it anymore. ha ha-I cant quit laughing!!!

laura said...

yeah, i'm SO dreading the "where do babies come from?" question.

sounds like a great movie, though.

Jess said...

sounds like a short version of the nutrition class i took this semester.. parker is a hoot!

The Buckley's said...

Oh dear! That is hilarious!

Unknown said...

Don't you just love moments like that?! I'll never forget my traumatizing experience of finding out "where babies come from" (shudder).
I love reading your blog Carrie - it always puts a smile on my face!

Susan said...

It sounds like you all had a great educational experience.