Friday, April 18, 2008

Lessons From Cathy

It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks. The "old" me used to try a recipe once and if I didn't like it, I would never try the recipe again. The "new" me has learned to think about WHY I don't like the recipe. If it just requires a little tweaking I will try the recipe again with tweaks added. This new trick has been learned thanks to my friend, Cathy.

Cathy taught me how to make bread a few summers ago and that's when I learned the art of tweaking a recipe to your liking. Adding or subtracting flour changes the texture of your bread. I also learned that weighing the flour is much more effective than using a measuring cup! So you added too much flour? No sweat, let the dough sit for a few minutes and then add a little water if needed.... Just don't give up!

In February, Cathy and I made some cookies for some neighbors who were no longer in our ward due to boundary changes. Cathy mixed up the dough for some cookies called "Magic in the Middles" and I baked them. They were dreamy good cookies! I asked Cathy to email me the recipe the other day because a friend of mine wanted it. Once I had the recipe I decided to try making them. I mixed up the dough according to the recipe and the dough was extremely stiff. Once I baked the cookies they were like little rocks. They tasted okay, but I didn't like how dry they were.

The old me would have deleted the email with the recipe. But I thought about what needed to change.....do I decrease the flour? Do I add more butter? I emailed Cathy for her opinion but then I got busy making the second batch right away. I added a few extra tablespoons butter. When the dough was done it still looked a little stiff so I added about 1 Tablespoon of vegetable oil and **voila** it looked like the consistency I was hoping for. I baked them and the results were delicious!
By the time I was done with the successful second batch, Cathy emailed me back and also suggested adding a 2-3 tablespoons of corn syrup for that added "chewy" texture. I am going to try that next time because the chewier the better!

These are pictures from my successful batch.



Here is the original recipe:

Magic in the Middles

Dough
1 1/2 c (6.25 oz) flour
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c sugar (plus extra for dipping)
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
1/4 c peanut butter (creamy)
1 t. vanilla
1 egg

Filling
3/4 c peanut butter (creamy)
3/4 c powdered sugar

For dough: Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, beat together sugars, butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg, then stir in dry ingredients.
For filling: Stir together peanut butter and powdered sugar in a small bowl until smooth.
To shape cookies: break off about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate dough and roll into a ball. Make an indentation with your finger and place a 1/2 inch ball of the peanut butter mixture inside. Bring the chocolate dough up and over the peanut butter filling, pressing it closed.
Dip top of cookie in sugar and place on baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Flatten each cookie with bottom of drinking glass (I used my fingers because I'm lazy like that).
Bake for 7-9 minutes at 375.

Try them today, you won't be disappointed!

4 comments:

laura said...

those were good cookies! thanks for sharing!

DJ and Gin Family said...

Those sound yummy. I shouldn't try them because I will eat them all, but I think that I will anyway!

Susan said...

I'm going to have to try that recipe.

Unknown said...

Mmmmm! I'm going to give these a try - cookies are one of the few things I actually enjoy baking!