Thursday, April 03, 2008

In Loving Memory, "The Bonnie" 2000-2008

Well, today is a sad and devastating day for the Sweet household. Really.

We purchased our 1999 Pontiac Bonneville in the year 2000, just after Carson was born. She was 1 year old and had 24,000 miles on her, but she was a beauty. As of today, she has 161, 000 miles under her hood. She got us through some great times: numerous trips to Seattle, one trip to Oregon, an insane braffing experience in Kilgore Idaho, one trip to Vegas, and since she was our only car for 6 years, countless trips around the Salt Lake Valley. She carried Carson and Parker home from the hospital when they were newborns. She carried Carson back to the hospital twice a few years later when he needed stitches.

She has had lots of cosmetic surgery to correct a cracked windshield, several fender benders, and quite recently, a run-in with a Cadillac Escalade. She had lots of quirks about her: lots of wind and road noise, the passenger door lost it's spring so it never stays open when you are getting in or out, the heater and air conditioner fan only worked on High or nothing at all, the left blinker stays on, oil leaked from the engine constantly, and overall she just smelled "old". But, she is such an easily recognizable car. You could pretty much guarantee that Sam Sweet was driving past you when you saw The Bonnie...well, it was either Sam or an old lady with gray hair because, after all, Bonneville's are grandma cars!

On Monday, Sam was driving to work. He took the 6th South exit on I-15 and hit a patch of black ice. He did a 360 on the exit and stopped when the back of The Bonnie slammed into the cement barrier on the side of the road. Ironically, mimicking a lot of the damage that was just repaired from the Cadillac Escalade incident, 3 weeks ago. This accident was a little worse, unfortunately, and our insurance company probably had to hold back their laughter when we asked them to fix it. So, today they officially "totalled" our car and will be cutting us a check. Unfortunately, since The Bonnie was paid for, she is worth more to us than the insurance company says she is worth. In other words, we can't buy another reliable car for $4,400. So, Sam is going to get to know the UTA system a little better this summer while we save up some money for another car.

Sam has been online all night looking for a replacement car so he could get a good idea on prices...but at one point I caught him looking at a Bonneville that was exactly like "Bonnie"! Sam, that's like trying to replace one of your kids! Sheesh!!

Here are pics post-accident:


Inside the trunk, see how the metal is crumpled?



Let's create a memory book for The Bonnie. Please leave your memories of her in the comments...Sam will really appreciate your efforts here. The more detailed the better!

10 comments:

Eden said...

I have never forgotten how ironic it was that a rock flew up and chipped the windshield--the day you bought the car.

RIP, sweet Bonnie!

The Airharts said...

Hillarious! I'm impressed that you could write such a long post about your sad car-I have the hardest time writing about my own life! Good luck on the car hunting!

Carl and Pat said...

We remember when it was the front end that was constantly in trouble from doing the same thing to the car in front of Sam! We also have memories of pre-van days when Sam and Carl got to sit in front while Carrie and Pat squeezed on either side of Carson's car seat in the back! Good times.

Sam said...

Plus the driver's side door handle on the inside was just about to fall off, one of the speakers rattled from too much Beastie Boys, and the rear tires were wearing unevenly. I'm sure it wouldn't have passed inspection next month. She was a nice, soft ride though, I'll give her that. I'm annoyed because Life Flight doesn't have any more of those stickers for my rear window and that's how I could find my car right away. She'll be sorely missed (and yes, I did think about another white '99 bonneville, it was on Ebay for $3,000)

Curtis and Shandy said...

Don't forget Sam put mud flaps on the Bonnie. Me and Curtis saw a newer silver one and thought of Sam in his time of need. Maybe you can get a discount on your next Bonneville for being a repeat customer. What is it with Sam's fetish of the Bonneville, did he have his first make out in a bonneville?

DJ and Gin Family said...

Sam is so loyal!!
DJ says that he is going to have his Altima forever. It's been 6 1/2 years so far. He had an old Plymouth Horizon before his mission, and claims that he would still be driving it, had his sister not totalled it while he was gone. Sam, I think that you should get an old Cadillac... do you remember Neal's?

Unknown said...

Well, I can't say that I have any memories of Bonnie, but please accept my condolences! What a tragedy! I'm glad that Sam wasn't hurt though.

Anonymous said...

Sam,

Well I guess I won't be waiting for you to drive down Ticklegrass and save me from riding the bus. It looks like you'll be joining me a little more!

Paul

Natalie said...

I think I can understand Sam's sadness more than anyone. You see, Sam and I have the same fondness for cars. It was a fondness born in the Berry's flower bed with match-box cars. To this day, I can tell you what kind of car is coming towards me, even in the dark! I just need the spread of the headlights.

I remember when you guys were first married and Sam was so so so excited to save up and buy that Bonneville. I always admired that quality in Sam. He could always patiently save for something. Personally, I'm not a fan of Pontiac's. In fact, I have a pretty racist joke about what Pontiac stands for. But I won't say it.

So sorry about the car. When our altima was totalled, it was a sad day too. A paid-off, totally dependable car, and it gets totalled. Our check was only about 4 grand. Say hello to the 94 dodge mini-van! That's what it bought us in 2003!

Just look at it this way. Your Bonnie went out in style. She didn't just stop breathing and die one day. She took one for the team! Could a corolla or civic protected you in such a way? Probably not.

Eden said...

Hey Natalie--

I know that same joke (it's one of Grandpa Savage's, I think).

And hey, I love my Civic!

(Though you're right--I don't suppose its crumple zones could take a beating quite like the old Pontiac).